General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun May 26, 2019 11:24 am

SusanH wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:10 am
Question? Would it be a big mistake to wash the eggs in order to candle them? I am guessing yes. I suppose that’s what those fancy egg brushes are for.
I am feeling a little discouraged.
You can wash with lukewarm water, it will not do any harm.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun May 26, 2019 11:31 am

Sorry to hear that you're having challenges with Miranda. If the dirt and yolk on the eggs is dry, you can try scraping the gunk off with your fingernails. You can try wiping the eggs with a dry cloth to clean them up a bit, or maybe use a cloth dampened with warm water if that doesn't work. I sprayed a mist of rubbing alcohol on an egg to clean it once. Not recommended, except as a last resort.
It sounds like it's time to give up on Miranda hatching out those eggs. Can you remove all those infertile eggs that Mercedes is sitting on, and give your hatching eggs to her instead of Miranda, once you've cleaned them up a bit?
Last edited by Jaye on Sun May 26, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun May 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Yes I agree with Jay , some hens just aren't any good at hatching.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun May 26, 2019 6:14 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:19 pm
Is it just this area or have you guys noticed a huge downturn in poultry keeping? I started back in twelve years ago and many of the friends I made along the way no longer have poultry, even people who were in it for years. I'm out of it myself but I always thought I could drop in and look at friend's birds but most have given up their birds or small animals. I wonder if the trend is over and only the diehards remain. There is a huge difference in the faces at events from twelve years ago to now. Also maybe this is a wrong way of thinking and it's my imagination but twelve years ago people seemed passionate about the breeds they had, now they are passionate about the money they will make from them.
You got in on an "upswing" , I saw the same one in the seventies and eighties, , and pretty sure there was one in the fifties and so on and so on.
This time the upswing was made a bit more obvious because of computers and social media, but the results are almost always the same.
Enthusiasm falls when the reality of the time and work involved becomes obvious, children loose interest, and people age out of the hobby.
Only very few enthusiast actually stay for the long haul.
Life tends to get in the way too, and chickens tend to be the "expendable crew members"
You can always drop by our place, but don't wait too long....... ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 26, 2019 7:33 pm

@SusanH she sat well last year didn't she? I wonder if somebody is sneaking in and jostling eggs. This pm I just found that one of the other turkey hens had laid a thin egg in #40s nest and it broke. I've just been wiping it off because it doesn't seem too bad BUT I will be keeping a nose out for rotting eggs.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon May 27, 2019 8:56 am

so true to @windwalkingwolf advice....3 days post pip and i have 3 little super cute muscovies in the brooder in the basement. photo will follow when i finally get one...). the other eggs didn't seem to be doing anything and 3 were suspiciously dark and not heavy so they hit the composter....(thankfully before they broke! LOL). the other 2 look like they arrested about 8 days ago for whatever reason.

had a good time, very busy time, at the wyoming sale this weekend. that sale is getting bigger every year i go! we were a little "late" getting there, supposed to start at 8, and we pulled in at 7:45! it was already quite busy! sold on a lot of the pullets that someone backed out on buying, and quite a few chicks. i have never sold any cockerels there so didn't take any and had at least 3 people looking for cockerels this year. and i know full well if i had taken cockerels that no one would have been looking for them! murphy's law.

it poured right after we got home-we ended up packing in a hurry at 1130 or so to beat the thunderstorm, and managed to get home about 30 minutes before it started rumbing and raining. Then finished planting the garden....well, almost finished. have a few stragglers to find homes for. and the flowers that i started for the flower gardens still need to get planted. sometime this week....i guess 1 bonus to all the rain is that the plants are doing quite well with the transplanting! looks like today may be nice and then 4 more days of rain off and on. looks like we will likely end up with beans on-if we can get anything planted! even short season corn looks like it's going to be hard to get that in with enough time for it to mature.

my turkey jenny now has 2 babies! (again, pics when i get them). never found the 1 first one that went missing, but i suspect a cat, and now that the door to outside the barn is closed we haven't had any more go missing. she had another 3 eggs, but they were sloshing suspiciously (and 4 days "overdue" so they got composter-ed). Hopefully she'll get up and around soon. these poults are eating and drinking on their own, so hopefully she'll take good care of them.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 am

Good morning,
Sounds like everybody had a busy weekend.
I was working in the garden, with one ear firmly attached to tha barn, where my brave and determined broody has been closing in on a 6th week on the nest,
I am almost sure I hear peeping.........

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue May 28, 2019 8:51 am

Me again,
Pretty sure there are 3 chicks in there, took out 4 duds and 1 & 1/2 shells out, what happened to the remaining two eggs is a mystery which I do not wish to solve. ;)
Problem is, she got so used to sitting, she is reluctant to let the chicks out, or possibly it's because the weather is spectacularly cra..y and she wants the kids to stay home.
Woke up to a downy woodpecker drumming on the barn, he has been at it for 2 days solid, I hope he finds a wife soon.
Have a dry one!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 28, 2019 10:10 am

I hear you on the crappy weather. Poor Kathleen is doing her best to keep the babies alive but they are such Muppets. 3 got lost out in the storm on Saturday and we managed to scoop them up for her. They just sort of wander off! Off now to check because she has them out again but over to the main coop. I have NO idea how wild turkey babies survive LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue May 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Wild turkeys are smarter than domestic & also hatch a lot more than domestic mommas do so if they loose halve still raise a lot .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”