General discussion forum.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Jaye » Mon May 20, 2019 9:44 am

Bayvistafarm wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:40 am

[...}We had a movie shoot here this past week. What a lot of people here, traffic/lights/action... and they used Jeremy's house extensively as well as Dave's. Not so much here, but did use it for one scene, where a nosy neighbour peeks thru our living room curtains. I'm in the shoot at the very end. Had to get up Friday morning at 4am to drive the bus, stop at the laneway and pick up the kid screaming help me help me... and then I drove away with him. An hour later, the whole kit and kaboodle was gone! Except our laneway is a double lane road (so wet/pot holes.. people drove around on grass)... Dave's lawn is trampled to muck... as well as other spots on lawns/driveways. And I heard from the guy who ran the food truck, we didn't get paid nearly what they would have. Well, we didn't know any better.

The movie is a crime docu-drama Fear they Neighbour. Interesting.. never seen it before. I've watch a couple episodes since. We are to get a DVD copy.. well, we will see.
Good to see you back @Bayvistafarm ! It's always an enjoyable read to hear what you've been up to.
Re: the movie shoot, not many people have a movie shoot on location at their place, so even if you weren't compensated well, the experience must have been worth something. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon May 20, 2019 9:46 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 am

I just put 5 eggs under a stubborn broody silkie and all 5 are developing :stars:
Exciting! Keep us posted. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 am

SusanH wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:02 pm
They say the definition of a stupid question is the one you need answer to but are afraid to ask. So here goes.
Scenario. Broody hen, no rooster
Possible solutions
1. Buy fertile eggs to put under her
2. Rent a rooster.

I tried solution 1 last summer but the eggs turned out not to be fertile. What can I do to improve those odds?
If I borrow a rooster, what am I looking at in terms of timing? Chicken has carnal knowledge of rooster, then 24 hours later one fertile egg is produced and that’s it? Or several days?
Given that the broody hen is not laying, introducing her to a rooster is likely pointless, right? The rooster would need to make whoopee with her sisters in order to get fertile eggs for Miranda to sit on.
Grateful for your thoughts
Even if you rent or buy a rooster it might be 15-30 days before you get any fertile eggs, by then your hen may no longer be broodie. Depending on what breed you want I'd be buying some eggs. I agree with everything KB said above.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Mon May 20, 2019 5:15 pm

[/quote] :banana:

Hi Susan, I have for sure fertile silkies eggs! My boy have been getting around. You can have today's eggs if you'd like.
[/quote]

Karen, whoopie, I’ll be right over! I will try to find your number, but in case, please pm me your phone/address! Oh, silkies. I always wanted silkies!
:wee:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon May 20, 2019 8:16 pm

Oh my silkie chicks, bundles of cuteness!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 am

morning all! nice and sunny this morning! and THANK you environment canada for not putting out a frost warning yesterday. ARGH! i took the heater out of the greenhouse because the weather said a low of 7. doesn't look like anything froze in the greenhouse but the thermometer says it hit 2C. hopefully things will be okay....sigh. busy long weekend. some birds off to new homes, and one lonely turkey poult hatched (the only one in the incubator because all the turkeys just quit laying), so went in with the 5 day old chicks. a load of ducks locked down, and a pile of guineas put in to the incubator for Bayvistafarm. Collecting again because my ameraucanas and easter eggers are a bunch of slackers. and i have a problem with my EOs. They've decided to double yolk everything this year! so i had one lonely EO hatch from the last batch. odd year.....oh, my turkey that has been sitting forever had a little poult under her yesterday with 3 more eggs to hatch today :-) yay!
put the lettuce and cabbage and broccoli and brussel sprouts and cauliflower into the garden this weekend. planted the potatoes. and some bean seed since the dirt actually seemed to be a little warmer than before. picking asparagus like crazy YUM! rhubarb has gone insane, actually going to seed already so cut all the seed heads off (i do NOT need more rhubarb!). so made up a couple of rhubarb crisps. should have added more sugar LOL. they're a little tart!
finally the first batch of mealworms were large enough to put into containers for sale! yay! there were 5000+ in the one bin! so did 4 containers of 1000+ each, will see if anyone buys any at the sale this coming weekend. put them in the fridge to slow them down. it's only been 2 months since i got my first beetles and eggs, so this is an apparently very self-renewing resource! i have 6 other bins of mealworms on the go, the second will likely be ready by the end of the week and then the next in another week! they seem very easy to look after and care for.
lost my one rhodebar rooster. his heart gave out....so hoping there's another half decent one in the batch that just hatched. i can tell the boys because they have the white spot on the head, so i'll just keep a few of them and see how they feather in.
been cutting grass like crazy....and will need to find some buckets for watering all the new trees we put in. we've had enough water so far....and supposed to rain again tomorrow??! and looking at the radar i wouldn't be surprised if that actually happens today....it was so cold in the wind yesterday.
must admit i'm looking forward to a little more seasonable weather. we found a pile of wild leeks (they're everywhere!) and morels this weekend too. YUM!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue May 21, 2019 4:33 pm

SusanH wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:15 pm
:banana:

Hi Susan, I have for sure fertile silkies eggs! My boy have been getting around. You can have today's eggs if you'd like.

Karen, whoopie, I’ll be right over! I will try to find your number, but in case, please pm me your phone/address! Oh, silkies. I always wanted silkies!
:wee:
Baah! bunch of enablers! :beer:

Hi Susanh - yep so far so good. No poultry this year - sold em all (gonna rebuild coops n travel -chickens back next summer). Carla remarked yesterday - “wow, we are ahead of the yard!” , well spring is a week or two late, so I guess we need to move farther north for a permanent solution. Timmins? lol
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 am

well get home to discover all the tomatoes and squash are all wilty in the greenhouse. argh! so watered them lots and looks like today they're perking up again. if we would get above 10C at night i'll put them in the garden. have to either lock the girls in or fence the garden out for the chickens...they apparently like cabbage plants. (they were stalking them while i was planting them and i ended up having to water the girls out of the garden with the sprayer on the hose). so today, once i pick the truck up from service, i will be getting a roll of chicken wire to close off the bottom of the garden fence with.....just a short roll, until the plants are big enough to fend for themselves.

and sad, because the one poult that hatched....mom is still in the nest, i put food and water close, and the poult is NOWHERE to be found. i have no clue what has happened to it, no body, not poult no nothing! and mom is still sitting and hissing. those other eggs should hatch in the next day or two. guess i should candle them tonight and see. my best bet is a cat must have gotten in....because we have a few of those....so doors are all closed and if a cat gets in it won't get out the way the wire is. all my cats are currently in the house. but i might end up moving her upstairs to the loft for safe keeping-if she'll stay on the nest. argh! birds. so frustrating sometimes. i honestly just want her to get unbroody again and start eating again. and my reds have FINALLY started laying something that's fertilized. so now i'm madly collecting what few eggs they are still laying. it's a very very odd year this year at my place!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed May 22, 2019 8:51 am

WLLady wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 am
[...] have to either lock the girls in or fence the garden out for the chickens...they apparently like cabbage plants. (they were stalking them while i was planting them and i ended up having to water the girls out of the garden with the sprayer on the hose). so today, once i pick the truck up from service, i will be getting a roll of chicken wire to close off the bottom of the garden fence with.....just a short roll, until the plants are big enough to fend for themselves.

and sad, because the one poult that hatched....mom is still in the nest, i put food and water close, and the poult is NOWHERE to be found. i have no clue what has happened to it, no body, not poult no nothing! and mom is still sitting and hissing. those other eggs should hatch in the next day or two. guess i should candle them tonight and see. my best bet is a cat must have gotten in....because we have a few of those....so doors are all closed and if a cat gets in it won't get out the way the wire is. all my cats are currently in the house. but i might end up moving her upstairs to the loft for safe keeping-if she'll stay on the nest. argh! birds. so frustrating sometimes. i honestly just want her to get unbroody again and start eating again. and my reds have FINALLY started laying something that's fertilized. so now i'm madly collecting what few eggs they are still laying. it's a very very odd year this year at my place!
LOL Mine love any kind of brassicas, especially if they are in-ground plants. I've only just finished getting the fencing up around my raised beds, so no annuals planted yet. Before the fencing was up, they did have a go at my rhubarb plant leaves while my back was turned though. I am guessing it's because there was not much else in the beds yet, besides strawberry plants, walking onions and garlic chives.
That's weird about your solo poult going missing ... I guess at this point there's not much chance of ti showing up alive again. :-(
Fingers crossed for a successful hatch of those turkey eggs in your incubator.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 am

Mornin to all.I haven't posted a lot of late, but read daily...far better than any other social media out there...hasn't been a lot to comment on in my life here..super busy with work and getting busier...I would have thought that at this time in ones life a little easing up on the gas pedal was in order...oh well...make hay while the sun shines they say...I was down to my bee keeper neighbour's the other day and we got to talking on chickens and such after i got some of my beekeeping queries out of the way...her small flock of mutts is getting older and she caught on that I had a small batch of BCMs, so asked me if I thought i had pure strain fertile eggs...now, the rooster is a randy sort and the girls are showing some wear and tear (actually enough that I am making some saddles for them) so I said yes, I was pretty sure that i had fertile eggs...so she had me collect a couple dozen over the last week or so...after i started collecting the eggs for her it occurred to me that my Brabanters were also producing what were probably fertile eggs too so I called her up and asked if she would incubate a small batch for me...in return I offered one of e dozen hatching eggs for free...well, we are in day three of incubation....🤓... Here's hoping i get a few more pullets out of this attempt...and maybe a cockeral to spice things up a bit or for a potential sale...I will be on the lookout for another line of Brabanters in the meantime...and I will have to increase the BCM count as well...THOSE hens are beautiful...curious, even tempered and good producers...almost better than my rocks...almost...and on the topic of production, I am sorely disappointed with the production RIRs from Freys...nice enough looking birds but dont produce worth poop ...7 hens...maybe 2 eggs a day...same conditions as everyone else so I can only put it down to breeding...oh well...they will meet the big rotisserie in the sky soon...anyway...by next Monday I will know if any of these Brabanter eggs are growing...quite excited... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”