Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Sorry all. I have been on but haven't had much to say or much time to say it. I did deal with a very nasty prolapsed vent a while back that I will make a thread for when I have more time because I figured out a few things that may be helpful for someone down the road. It was Stella the baldy chick Cochin. She has recovered but I won't know for sure until she resumes laying. Can't wait for spring and I feel like the Weather Network liked to me. I swear I read this week was supposed to be spring temps!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:47 am

Well nice to hear from you!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm

kenya wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:05 pm
Yes JimW is likely hunting sharks.
Baron is likely making a log cabin type chicken coop.
WWW is likely getting tomatoes now from her greenhouse.Or maybe shes dancing with the wolfs.
Waupoos probably has a half dozen babies in the house.
Flatrockfarm is likely preparing her new pup for rallio trials.
Happy is probably preparing a photo studio for us all to come and take fabulous photos of our chickens.
Hey - OC and Kenya are close - I've been in the woods a lot and my dog, snowmobile, and chainsaw have been my trusty friends. Nothing like a day in the woods!

The real news is that I'm not hatching any birds this year - after last year's disaster - lost adult birds due to poor infrastructure - and a basement full of chicks for a long season - with the dust and my allergies - I've decided the only real answer is to thin the flock - take a year off (maybe two given the travel plans next year - Greece and California) - fix the house (roof leaking and other problems) and build a serious set of coops with a brooder setup (and finally fix the barn) so chicks can start in the barn.

My real issue is that I'm good at avoidance behaviour, procrastinating, and doing things "temporary" (which means ten years around the farm). Time to "do it right".

I have a decent flock of creme legbars so I'll start with that when I get rolling again.

If I relapse this year (which is likely knowing me) I'll get some ringneck pheasants (I miss the rooster's crow) and some meat birds to fill the freezer.

Either way I'll still pop in here once a week or more to say hello.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 am

Sooooo the log cabin coop is in the works?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am

Well I'm surprised HD isn't totally exhausted this am. Love was certainly in the air yesterday afternoon and to my count he got 4 of the girls! They are not at all ladylike and compete for his affections.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:38 am

Glad @JimW , @Happy and @baronrenfrew are all accounted for and well, or as well as possible under the circumstances ;)

@Killerbunny so spring is here for sure, regardless of what I see out of the window ?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:07 pm

hi everyone! not quite morning any more, but daylight nonetheless....
it's raining. i think that qualifies as spring. in any event i'll take it. @TomK i am going to get your seeds sent next week. just have to get to canada post to do it and wanted the temps above -15C....
new puppy is BUSY. lol. she's a puppy. she's decided she likes barking (thank you skeet, for teaching her to bark at stuff that moves). we are now entering the "i'm comfy in my new home so now i'm going to get into everything". staying out of the kitchen is coming along slowly. just as long as food is not involved in preparation in the kitchen. there's a new fascination with water, actually things floating in the water, like oh, say a kibble...then it's diving for goodies. and dunking for kibbles. and playing. and splashing. and of course after playing in the water it's easier to DRINK 2 gallons of water to get the kibble.....which means going out every hour on the hour all night long. yeah. NEVER again hunny....
she's cute. she's hyper. she's small enough still to be coyote snack size...and we have 5 coyotes hanging around. sigh. so far they've stayed over near the bush. thankfully. but she does not go out unattended in the dark quite yet. although she is fully 2 inches taller than when we got her, and 8 pounds heavier, and i think her feet got even bigger...
enjoys her romps around the field. and even skeet is acting a bit younger. waiting on some pain drug injections to come in at the vets, we'll get him started on those. but this vet put together a very comprehensive pain control program for him and so far so good. he's still wobbly, but he's not acting like he's hurting all the time now.
another batch of turkeys into the incubator yesterday. i haven't gotten any eggs in 3 days now, i think they quit! argh! chicks are growing fast, and doing well. sure eating a lot!
hoping this is spring finally!!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Ha! Ha! My girl still likes to play in the water and share with everyone, holding it in her mouth then coming over for a pat when she promptly opens her mouth so you can enjoy some water. Funny but my mother doesn't feel like sharing, poor Summer finds this so disappointing.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:37 pm

That's too funny Kenya! We used to think that our previous lab was evil because she would spy someone wearing shorts, go to her water bowl and drink some water, then walk over to that lucky person and lick their legs...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Did someone say that spring was coming?!
This was the view on my drive home today...
IMG_20190313_183649.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20190313_183649.jpg
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Around the Waterer”