Good Morning! 2019

General discussion forum.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Jaye » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:31 pm

We couldn't get our snowblower going on Sunday either. Arrgh. This is not the first time it's refused to start and it usually goes on strike after any significant snowfall. We broke down and bought it three winters ago because neither of us were able to keep up with the manual shovels anymore when we got a lot of accumulation at once. Meanwhile, our neighbour's trusty 20 year old machine starts up every time.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Jaye..that sucks..typical tho..in the midst of the first serious snowfall of the season ( I really cant recall when that was it was so long ago) I was motoring along with my trusty 30" MTD machine when BANG!!!!...full stop..had to finish by hand...oh my back...turns out that the engine threw a connecting rod coming right out though the engine casing behind the starter and spewed oil all over things...made the unit a block of used spare parts...I knew I had to break down and get another machine....my choice was to get another walk behind blower (thrower in the US) or get one for the back of my old Ford 2N...I didn't really relish sitting in the wind twisted 180 deg around driving backwards so walk behind it was...got a rebuilt machine with a brand new Briggs engine and impellor at my local repair guy for reasonable money...electric start and man it throws the snow at least twice as far as the old unit...my point in telling all this is of course, to set up a mini rant..lol...when the original machine broke I hit the internet to see what might be the cause..turns out that the engine, a Tecumseh 10.5 HP, was prone to this kind of break down...now my point is, if a company making a product discovers a serious flaw in design in their product why in hell would they not fix it?..the answer?...they don't give a poop ..and that attitude is pervasive in our society at the moment...basically sell you garbage at the highest dollar that can be extracted from the buyer and then do cartwheels trying to evade standing behind the product...I know, I know, what can ya do?....well, i bought a replacement unit second hand..its a start...gave my repair guy a sale and then support his business...local..always a good thing...none of this big box (I owe you nothing) store garbage..only when forced...there!.. done...I feel better..
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Happy Happy Happy with a portable propane heater at my feet .
Attachments
FDBB2A33-CF78-408B-9933-35E1BE1A85D1.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 am

got ours going last night to find that the alternator is shot....so brand new battery is not charging....um. new alternator is being sought lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:56 am

@Jaye Me an 6 other men had to drive to the gas station with gas can to be filled up on Sunday morning :banana:

I had my 30 years old JD fixed for about 200.00 in Nov! Mice had eaten through the wiring harness. They are hard to be without especially when you need to clear around the coops......

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:13 am

Machinery in full force here, neighbor back on the big tractor, 2 snowblowers finally all clean yesterday,
today can start all over again :(
Oh well at least it's not so horrendously cold, I am sure the skiers are ecstatic :)
Have a safe one!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:11 am

the skaters should be ecstatic down here....holy crap! it's treacherous! (and fun....LOL). i wish i weren't so scared of falling and that it didn't hurt to slip (alas, my spine reconstruction doesn't like any form of slipping or falling). flat surfaces are sheet ice out here this morning! and it's going to get cold again tonight and this is going to be a total skating rink....i may need to find some sand to put into the pasture between the barn and hay for the horses....
it's pretty....anything with ice is mirror flat and totally reflective. very very pretty. i opened up the turkey pens this morning since they've all been locked in with the cold, and they didn't even try to look out....stayed on the roosts with the "are you nuts?" look on their faces. free range chickens are drinking all the rain they can from a puddle standing in the coop and reaching out to drink lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:07 pm

@Jaye problems like that are usually a symptom of ethanol in the gas, which eats away at all the rubber seals and plastic parts which gums up the carburetor, blocking the fuel passage ways and then the no start... 2 simple solutions to prevent this is to buy fuel without ethanol, shell top tier gas is the only gas i buy, the pump will have a sticker and there will be zero ethanol in it, i dont buy gas for any engine anywhere else no matter how well of a good deal it is. the other solution is on all small engines is to not just turn the engine off with the kill switch but to instead turn the fuel off and let the engine die leaving no gas in the carburetor. if the engine is not going to be used for a few months dont top up the tank prior to using the engine that one last time and run it completely out of fuel or remove the fuel safely from the tank one way or another, this way the gas does not spoil in the tank. doing these simple steps, putting in fresh gas when you need the engine to run and following correct starting procedures, opening the choke, ect... should result in an engine that will run immediately when asked to. now there is maintenance that i dont always follow correctly but should be maintained in one way or another, tune ups... clean and correctly gaped spark plugs, or new, oil changes, once a year is probably a good thing but old oil wont prevent it from running, and clean or replace the air filter.

i think thats about it. remember fuel, air, spark, goes vroom.... i hope you getter going!!!

Sorry guys that I havent been on here much lately, but what I can tell you is Lizzie and I are planning to revamp this hobby farm of ours, and fulfill our dreams that were kinda put on the back burner the last couple years. back to our roots. I remember a smart man asking me once what my goals are when i first signed up to PSO.... @ross what are your goals.... Thanks Ross! meat and eggs or pretty. well we need meat and eggs and likewise we are planning a freys order, getting production birds that will produce meat and eggs. man I miss our reds and all the other breeds we had, and my big grand plans of becoming a breeder of perfect birds.... dream.... back to reality, meat, eggs, and our garden. back to our true dream of being self sufficient and achieving our goals.

Lizzie has been making lists and crunching numbers, we have been making the plans to achieve our short term and our long term goals. we have the plans to order 50 laying lens (red sex links, white leghorn and barred rocks), 2 batches of 30 freys special purpose slow growth meat chickens, 6 turkeys, looking at the small white mini classic but I would actually love our beltsville small whites again as they are by far the best turkey ever! logistics get in the way but I know where there is an amazing breeder! KB on the other side of the province. :-) we will probably go with the small whites so that all the birds are coming from one source, all at once, raised together and bio secure. half a dozen muskovies and expand our khaki campbell ducks to half a dozen as well. we will be building a small rabbitry for Lizzies Flemish giants which are soooo huge and doing amazing and of course building our long awaited greenhouse. finishing the coops and covering the 3000 square foot run is our highest priority right now. were getting it all on paper and figuring it all out! this time i am not in charge, although we collaborate Lizzie is the brains behind this and i am the muscle. :-)

well have a good one all!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:23 pm

@thegawd , thanks so much for the info on small engines and for solutions for start issues. I will definitely pass this on to the keeper of the snowblower. I'm sure he'll appreciate it! I know he does have good starting and maintenance practices and a "things to do before storage" checklist that he goes through every spring, but maybe it's the gas that's the issue, or not letting it stop on its own instead of using the kill switch ... :dunno:
It's good to hear from you again. Sounds like things are going well with you and yours, and you have a sound plan going forward.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:29 pm

Luck man (AL) to you & the family .🤘
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”