For anyone who’s heard “It’s just a chicken”

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

For anyone who’s heard “It’s just a chicken”

Post by Happy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:03 am

1D715E68-9334-4369-964D-4AF74428D073.jpeg
I know that everyone on here has chickens for different reasons. Some are for eggs, some end up in the freezer, some are pets or entertainment, some are for show or competition or profit. But regardless of the reason you have them I always hear a common theme of caring and concern over their well-being and general happiness. So I am pretty confident that at some point you’ve heard “just a chicken” and decided that there’s probably no point in responding.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: For anyone who’s heard “It’s just a chicken”

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:11 am

And I just spent a happy hour in the paddock drinking coffee with my turkeys. I suppose they are "just birds". That is a very true piece of writing. Sounds odd but you would all get it but when I was doing my treatments I could go out to the birds and just sit and relax, forget about all the bad stuff and enjoy the moments with them.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:47 am

:hug: That doesn’t sound odd to me at all KB

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:27 am

So true! When we were farming and I was alone and having a bad day, I would go visit the sheep in the barn and just sit with them. They would come over, play with the zipper on my coat, nuzzle my hair and rest their heads on my lap or shoulder. It was the most calming and restorative time of my day. When I had the turkeys they would come over and sit on my lap too and just be there.

There was a recent study about aging well and one of the things they found was that people with gardens and small livestock fared better because they had a purpose as they aged but I also think it’s because they get the calming ebb and flow of having a bird or other creature to restore them.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 am

Not ever "just a bird" to me.
Although we happily eat the surplus, we never forget to appreciate the meals they have provided, eggs or meat or fertilizer for the veg.
I have have seen pretty amazing places in my ever so long life, but sitting on a bench hanging out with the flock, I often think it doesn't get much better then this :-)

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:59 pm

I agree with you all. I love my birds and all the new little ones they produce. They are all so entertaining with their own personalities. Love the fresh eggs too!

Allan
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Allan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:03 pm

I’d rather talk to my birds than talk to some people. They always listen, sometimes they talk back. Thankfully, I can’t understand what they say....that would probably be seen as an issue..by some folks🤪
Last edited by Allan on Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Allan wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:03 pm
Is rather talk to my birds than talk to some people. They always listen, sometimes they talk back. Thankfully, I can’t understand what they say....that would probably be seen as an issue..by some folks🤪
Lol I sometimes think I know EXACTLY what they are saying to me. It's not always nice!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 pm

I remember a friend saying I was wasting money when he found out what I paid for some, he said they're just chickens, I shut him up fast when I started comparing my hobby to his.... keeping speed bikes (motorcycles)! I said at least I get eggs from my hobby and chicks to sell, when did he ever get anything back? Plus the Zen thing of sitting and watching the political lives of chickens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:08 am

Happy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:18 pm
Allan wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:03 pm
Is rather talk to my birds than talk to some people. They always listen, sometimes they talk back. Thankfully, I can’t understand what they say....that would probably be seen as an issue..by some folks🤪
Lol I sometimes think I know EXACTLY what they are saying to me. It's not always nice!
Oh yes. Sister marched up to me with her new babies last year and told me the treats were lousy and they were holding out for better! Guess who won? She always hangs out with Frank, the rooster and I would not like to be him when she is displeased.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”