For anyone who’s heard “It’s just a chicken”

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: For anyone who’s heard “It’s just a chicken”

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:07 am

After this holiday season I will be doing one group of "friends" less next time. A few years back I had a dog attack and the final tally was 10 dead and several more carrying scars to this day. One of this group noticed we have fencing up although they have visited here since it went up. I explained why and told them about catching the dog in the act. Also that it had killed 9 in the barn down the road and gone through a neighbours piglets. He became very concerned about the poor dog (OK) and had we found its owner and returned it! I was a little irritated by now and said I shot the f*****g thing. I then got a lecture on how I'm not allowed to do that etc. etc. He is a recentish immigrant from Europe so I told him what the law actually was when you catch something in the act. He didn't like that at all. I know I should have kept my mouth shut but I still remember finding a hen on the patio with her insides torn out but still alive.
So he won't be back.
Interestingly the neighbour with the piglets thanked me and said I just did a Community service and they wouldn't have to worry now!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 am

KB what a horrible thing to have to experience and even worse that you had to defend your actions. I would have had to beat the dog to death with my bare hands...but I would have.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:04 am

No one should have to justify taking care of their own. Doesn't always pay to broadcast, but you take care of what you need to. Good for you.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:56 am

SSS
Good job KB
There are those that would say it’s the owner not the dog but the DOG did kill um & it is against the law to shoot the owner soooo .
Definitely won’t happen again with that dog .👍
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Yes it is the owners fault but you will never change that jackass of an owner so the poor dog had to go. That dog would never stop killing.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:07 am

I love this poem Happy. Thank you for sharing it, I have copied it.

Oh KB I am sorry that you had to experience going through that with that person. If people only knew (that don't have critters) all the hard work and love that goes into keeping birds or any livestock.

My Rotti X at around the age of 2 years of age decided to go walk about only to discover that my neighbor free ranged all his birds (turkey's, chicken's, ducks) which started a fresh meat buffet. They are absent neighbors and I don't think they ever noticed any gone. I was horrified and took action to have 6' fencing installed around parts of our property to keep her in. Criticized by family for having to spend ALL this extra money on chain link fencing for "a dog". I was upset as I thought I was doing the responsible thing as a pet owner and being a good neighbor for keeping the dog safe as well as the neighbors birds. I even had someone mention that I should "get rid of her". :angry:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 am

I love Rottis! They just do what is natural and when something runs that can spark a response. Awful that your neighbours never noticed either. I hate leaving my birds.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 am

Yes KB they seem to have a huge prey drive to ANYTHING that runs.

On the other hand she is a wonderful loving dog and the best watch dog I could ask for!

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:22 am

Our neighbors have a Rotti, Max, I've had my stupidest baby roo run in front of him......My famous Wilton, the Weather Cat, just has to walk outside and Max runs all the way back to his house.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm

There is no such thing as "just a chicken" at my place. Even the stupid meaties...they are off-putting but I pity them. They are in my care, and when something happens to one of them, I am sad and feel I've failed them.

Return to “Around the Waterer”