Question Why are ALL the Poultry forums peetering out?

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Why are ALL the Poultry forums peetering out?

Post by TomK » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:04 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am
baronrenfrew wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:27 am
I have been almost silent the last year as: 1. I feel I have said what I have to say; 2. I had a few setbacks that knocked my enthusiasm sideways (fox attack, death of a dog, nasty asthma); 3. I realize that I am a bit of a “know it all”

That said I am happy to see my forum friends are alive and doing well. (plus if this site becomes a bit less popular, I don’t care, as long as it stays in business)
Always nice to hear from you baron, I must object to you point # 3.
To be a true "know it all" You must truly believe you "know it all" without realization that you Might be a bit of a "know it all".
I think you are a man of many ideas and views and are able to state them eloquently and if you overstep, we can always sic windwalkingwolf on you ;)
I certainly understand that wind goes out of the sail when c.r.a.p. happens, and the need to share just isn't there.
:good post: :iagree:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:10 am

@baronrenfrew is a great guy to meet in person too!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Taking in to consideration that all life goes in circles, I wonder if the proliferation of Forums and seeming increase in Poultry raising popularity coincided with "computer in every household" which means that Everybody who "always wanted couple hens (we know where that leads ) and anybody who just thought chickens might be fun to have around, and the the people
Who thought the would get FREE eggs :doh:
and people who thought they could make MONEY with chickens roflmbo

That created a bit of a tsunami of "Back yard chickens" popularity and also brought in some city and town people who never thought of having chickens before, and thought this would enable them to have livestock in the all these groups got over their initial excitement , first few setbacks separated the fly by group from the died in the wool (feathers?) group, and we are It.

kortispoultry
On the Roost

Post by kortispoultry » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:43 pm

WWW, you are an amazing young lady and your post was nothing short of excellent!! I just have to meet you in person one day Jan, (even though I feel like I know you already). Have a great day. Pete.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am
baronrenfrew wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:27 am
I have been almost silent the last year as: 1. I feel I have said what I have to say; 2. I had a few setbacks that knocked my enthusiasm sideways (fox attack, death of a dog, nasty asthma); 3. I realize that I am a bit of a “know it all”

That said I am happy to see my forum friends are alive and doing well. (plus if this site becomes a bit less popular, I don’t care, as long as it stays in business)
Always nice to hear from you baron, I must object to you point # 3.
To be a true "know it all" You must truly believe you "know it all" without realization that you Might be a bit of a "know it all".
I think you are a man of many ideas and views and are able to state them eloquently and if you overstep, we can always sic windwalkingwolf on you ;)
I certainly understand that wind goes out of the sail when c.r.a.p. happens, and the need to share just isn't there.
Is that like insanity, where if you think you're insane, then you cannot actually be? Good to know, on both counts roflmbo I don't know what my performance would be like if I was "sicced" on somebody...many years ago I would have looked forward to such a battle of wits and words, but I've become more of a pacifist (or something) in recent years, or just maybe lazy. I'd rather hire a lawyer roflmbo
I agree with OC, @baronrenfrew . Your diverse interests, past and present, make you an awesome source of information, and your oratorical skills make even the most mundane subject highly entertaining.
Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:05 pm
Taking in to consideration that all life goes in circles, I wonder if the proliferation of Forums and seeming increase in Poultry raising popularity coincided with "computer in every household" which means that Everybody who "always wanted couple hens (we know where that leads ) and anybody who just thought chickens might be fun to have around, and the the people
Who thought the would get FREE eggs :doh:
and people who thought they could make MONEY with chickens roflmbo

That created a bit of a tsunami of "Back yard chickens" popularity and also brought in some city and town people who never thought of having chickens before, and thought this would enable them to have livestock in the all these groups got over their initial excitement , first few setbacks separated the fly by group from the died in the wool (feathers?) group, and we are It.
Yes, and yes. We are "Lifers", whether we admit to it or not. Even Bert :lol: . The flakes burn brightly and then peter out, or go out with a bang... and the lifers keep coming back to the hobby again and again, no matter how often they think their minds have changed. Of course, now that I've said that, someone will be determined to prove me wrong, and sell off all their birds in a fit of pique :lol:

kortispoultry wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:43 pm
WWW, you are an amazing young lady and your post was nothing short of excellent!! I just have to meet you in person one day Jan, (even though I feel like I know you already). Have a great day. Pete.
:oops: I can always count on you Pete to keep me humble :lol: I return the sentiment!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:10 am
@baronrenfrew is a great guy to meet in person too!
To that I can only add "Amen!"... :iagree:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:01 am

Dominion Link wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:46 am
but I do find loading photos and links a bit cumbersome via my phone or when the internet service is weak at home, which is all too frequently.
I'm looking if there are improvements out there. Since this is all browser based, it requires you to click 5 more times than on any FB or twitter app. That would necessitate creating an App.... Winter is coming. Maybe there is time for that.... Or maybe finding a freelancer that can create it for us....
windwalkingwolf wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:49 pm
The only thing that BYC has going for it, that we don't, is page visits--you can Google a question about poultry health, or breeding, or incubating, and chances are good that some of the top search results will be BYC pages. So, they get views (which means the ads do as well). Big whoop. I would be willing to wager that very, very few of those "views" translates into membership/contribution.

One thing that can possibly be "fixed" is the search function within the board...it's horrible. For instance, earlier I wanted to reference Andy but couldn't remember his username, so I tried searching for "Andy" because he at one time signed his posts. It would not return any results unless I added two more words to the search line, because "Andy" returned too many results, perhaps because it searched for "AND"??? So I tried "resistance is futile", something he was fond of saying, and got two pages of results but none of them relevant, because several others of us are also fond of saying it :-P I gave up, because I figure it will come to me later (it did), and it wasn't that important anyway. As a test for the search function, I searched for "losing feathers". The search doesn't return exact matches, as it should, it gives you all posts with the term "losing", and "feathers" in the post. That's annoying, and if I was a first time user looking for something important, I would give up.

Paying for advertising...I really don't know how well that would work. I mean, people keep doing it, so it must get some sort of attention/clicks/sales, right? Where would you advertise?

"Friendly People. No Trolls."

I think we should find a way to play up our strengths, make the group more attractive to people who are looking for what PTO already offers, rather than change PTO to cater to what people are deciding they want right now. Because as a general rule, when people get what they want, it very quickly becomes Not Good Enough, or Something Completely Different. An individual person may be smart, but people are dumb as stumps roflmbo and that's what Facebook is--people. A mindless mob of people taking a break from reality. I don't think it's a bad thing that that this group has so far avoided that.
Wow, what a post WWW!
Translation of views -> members -> posts:
I can get you that stat, too. :rofl: It's a very, very small number. But it's a number none the less.

Search function:
I have some dials I can tweak available. Thanks everyone for bringing it up! That is definitely on my ToDo list.

Where Advertising? On Facebook! :laugh: Seriously though. They offer quite a customization and have different kinds of offers for the advertiser. There is pay by the 1000 clicks. Or pay by results, in our case it would be new members. Customization can also be done to target audience by region, gender, age, .... So it would be targeted.
Bottom line is that a new member gained through that would cost between $3-5 in advertising. That would grow our pool by ~40 to 50 if we spend the donations that way. And because the ratio of members to "regulars" is around 1 in 200, I have not done anything there. I keep thinking there have to be better ways to reach people at shows/sales than that.
Or advertise on feather fancier? That would reach the target audience, too.

"Friendly People. No Trolls."
LOVE IT! Anyone else have other cool ideas? We don't have to have one single one anymore. I can have them cycle through as well.

Play to strength.
Absolutely! That seems to be information, information and more information (in an organized form and verified to work in canadian winters).
I think we have the solution called "Fowl Facts" to something like that. It's a starting point anyways. Needs some TLC....
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Post by poultry_admin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:50 am

Searching:
I have a few dials, but to be frank, Google is the master of search engines. So they are employed now to provide the search of our forum.
PRO:
-they are better than anyone else in finding stuff
-you get to search for images now, too. That is not available with any of the included search functions in this forum software.

CON: you will have to suffer through the ads in the results. The top 4 or so are ads served by google. Identifiable by the "Ad" word and the button "-> visit Website". I have no control over what ads they show you and obviously that is the payment for their service (going to them).

Let me know what you think!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Where did the unread posts go?
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Post by poultry_admin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Looking for them, too....

..... found them!! :beer2:

Return to “Around the Waterer”