Backyard Poultry in Ontario..

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Backyard Poultry in Ontario..

Post by ross » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:33 pm

It’s ok OC I’m still trying to figure out where the little guys in the microwave that run around in opposite circles to the spinning plate in the centre go to rest when they’re finished their job warming up the food . Also now I gots your attention where does the beam from a flashlight go when you turn it off , back into the flashlight? Hmmmm mutterings of an old fool . 😝🤷‍♀️
Attachments
84897336-39C8-47E5-B1B5-6D30E4C58D0A.jpeg
84897336-39C8-47E5-B1B5-6D30E4C58D0A.jpeg (92.26 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:41 pm

ross wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:33 pm
It’s ok OC I’m still trying to figure out where the little guys in the microwave that run around in opposite circles to the spinning plate in the centre go to rest when they’re finished their job warming up the food . Also now I gots your attention where does the beam from a flashlight go when you turn it off , back into the flashlight? Hmmmm mutterings of an old fool . 😝🤷‍♀️
Yup, back in to the flash light, that's what the battery is for, to suck it back in. ;)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Ouuu hmmmm. Reverse vacuumization 🍘🔦
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Light bulbs are actually dark suckers!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:54 am

Got derailed a bit here, remembered this thread yesterday, while watching "Escape to the Country" and few obviously free range chickens in the back yard, and yet another man voicing a wish to get a few chickens after their move to the country.
Made me wonder a bit about what usually comes first , The move to the country and then wish to get chickens, or, wish to have chickens and then, move to the country ?
I personally think that wanting poultry or small livestock might be hard wired in some people.
I grew up in a large city "Downtown Europe" with no contact with any kind of domestic animals and don't believe I actually saw a cow until I was about 16 from a train window on my way to ski hills.
Even my grandma lived in the city and it wasn't until visiting DH's grandma, who retired to what I realize in retrospect was a "Hobby Farm" (and here I thought our generation invented that ;) that I saw rabbits and geese and ducks and was immediately fascinated by the whole idea.
I suspect it was then the seed was planted, it took another 10 years before the "back to the land move of the Seventies" the idea came to sprout :-)

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:11 am

Penny wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:01 pm
Ontario Chick wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:03 pm
Just curious if seeing the poultry in your neighbors back yard as a kid, would make you more likely to choose it as a hobby.
I think yes! My grandparents always had a few banty hens running around. I was both fascinated and terrified by them at that age. lol But, that memory was part of what made me want my own few chickens.

I agree! My grandfather had a dairy farm, and I remember some of it. He showed me how to milk a cow, by hand (I think I was 5). I saw my dad kill a chicken, and it run around "like a chicken with its head cut off". I missed the plucking, but I watched my mom eviscerate it. Shortly after all that, when I was 6, my grandfather sold the farm and kept some acreage for a few beef cattle. We used to be able to scratch their heads when they came to the fence. When I was about 11, we used to drive the tractor back to the bush and back.

Return to “Around the Waterer”