Red leakage

General discussion forum.
Shnookie
Free Ranging

Red leakage

Post by Shnookie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:06 pm

I was disappointed to see the largest of my new Ameraucana cockerels has red leakage. The brown spots showed up a couple weeks ago, but I didn't see the yellowish color in the same area until I took the pictures today. Does red leakage show up on females too?
IMG_7379.JPG
IMG_7380.JPG

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Red leakage

Post by labradors » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Thank goodness it wasn't blood!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:40 am

Hens from Saskatchewan are known for red leakage. Its the climate. And they bleed green and white.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:45 am

its super common in the boys-mainly on shoulders (its actually a good first sign of sex in most ees/ameraucanas in some colours)...then hens have a more subdued colour pattern due to the sex differences in expression of the e locus genes so it is possible to not have as promine t leakage in the girls. if you use this male in breeding the trait will likely pass to his daughters but could be masked so going forward to breed it out pick your best nonleaking girls to go with him and then the best male offsrping to pair back to best mom....one back breeding ahouldnt hurt.....from the back breeding pick best males and females to go forward....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:32 am

Does red leakage show up on blue birds?

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 am

I’m no expert but I did hatch out a blue Cochin last year that had red leakage show up on his shoulders so I’m going to say yes.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 am

Yup, red leakage shows up on Blue and Black birds also.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:39 am

Yes red leakage shows up on some strains not all, its something you breed to eliminate, usually just shows up on males.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:02 am

So if I can't see the leakage, does that mean the chicken doesn't have it? If I breed my blue rooster (3 1/2 years old) that doesn't have leakage, to the new hens (not showing any leakage yet) from the same group as the cockerels that are showing leakage, would I get any offspring with leakage?

modern17
Starting to Crow

Post by modern17 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am

First off I must confess I hate the word " Leakage" .. and cringe ever time I hear or see it written.... in the Standards ( APA & ABA) we refer to this as foreign color... leakage brings to mind many other things I would not like to think about lol... now I am done with my pet peeve... Ok ... When you are dealing with Blue ( Laced Blue not to be confused with self blue or as many mistakenly call it " lavender" ) & Splash .. in these birds back ground there is black... if you have black you will have a red factor that does show up in the form of reddish or rusty plumage ( foreign color to the variety ) in blues and splash. This is not a positive trait in good colored blues or splashes and should be bred away from as much as possible .. Remember" what ever you tolerate you will have" It does show up from time to time and should be eliminated when ever you can avoid it. .. and is more present ( increased) when in the background of some birds , someone has added a red factor ( Wheaten or BB or other ) into the lineage of these birds. This could be the case here if you don't know the lineage of these birds more than a generation or two. What to do .. If possible eliminate the specimen from your breeding pen.. if it is your only one... breed from it and cull all that have the trait and keep the ones that don''t or at least the ones that have less.. over a generation or two you should be able to eliminate it. In short explode your population then cull down to the preferred traits.. this is my process for eliminating any undesirable traits in any of my birds. Establish a goal and work towards it. Remember every bird hatched is not going to be ideal and culling is a must to make head way
My 2 cents
TL

Return to “Around the Waterer”