Thanksgiving ....

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Thanksgiving ....

Post by TomK » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Jaye wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:35 pm
Speaking of Thanksgiving, is $3.49/lb a good price for organic free-range turkey?
I suppose...thats $70 big ones for a 20 lb bird....makes ya savour every bite...no rushing through that meal...lol :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:48 pm

That's very reasonable indeed, some are $6 and upward for organic.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:35 pm

I was thinking that was on the low side too...
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Jaye wrote:
Speaking of Thanksgiving, is $3.49/lb a good price for organic free-range turkey?
If it's actually free range and organic, thats a very good price.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:39 am

Love the turkey in the heading!!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:32 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 pm
Jaye wrote:
Good to know, thanks KB, Brebis and OC.
I did see them wandering about in their yard, so I'm pretty sure that they are free range, and their farm is supposed to be organic.
Nice healthy birds, and big. Too big for just hubby and I, really.They are getting out of raising livestock and focusing on food crops. :-( Reason cited: not profitable enough. I think the problem may be that their prices are too low and their customer base isn't big enough.
Last edited by Jaye on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:03 am

Jaye wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:32 am
Ontario Chick wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 pm
Jaye wrote:
Good to know, thanks KB and OC.
I did see them wandering about in their yard, so I'm pretty sure that they are free range, and their farm is supposed to be organic.
Well....free ranging is good for the life.of the bird and of course on its own it is entirely organic...its the feed that becomes the issue and organic feed is usually twice the price if not a little more than the regular stuff...and you can't really check that...I am never really sure why the bird should be that expensive...not that i begrudge the grower/farmer the money....but really, just because one person decides to limit the amount of birds they raise shouldnt mean the price goes through the roof...economy of scale shouldn't work that way, or in this case 'non economy' ... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:11 am

I haven't even thought about thanksgiving yet-it's almost a whole week away! but one thing is for sure, there will be hubbard squash soup involved....lol. and everything we eat will have been produced by us....mostly because i'm too lazy to go and buy stuff, and also because our stuff just tastes so much better than the stuff in the store! we've been lucky so far and haven't been hit by a killing frost yet, so we still have tomatoes (too many tomatoes!), and lettuce....so likely a nice salad, and if i get around to it, one of my tom turkeys that is extra, OR some of our chicken from the freezer. give that it's hunting season this weekend we may also forget about dinner and just go hunting....lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:44 am

That's odd I made a post and it disappeared, anyway here goes again.
Heritage and organic may even reach $10/lb. Heritage turkeys take longer to reach processing weight. For example my BSWs need a minimum of 20 weeks preferably 30 weeks. This gives me hens around 9lb dressed and Jakes about 15-18lbs dressed. Then they have o go to the processor around $6 each plus the gas to get there, 45 minutes for me). Feed has risen the last few years too because of poor harvests. Some of my neighbours get what they think is a good deal ($40 for a Jake on the hoof) because they process it themselves but that's a December bird.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:56 am

We don't normally do Thanksgiving... we are too busy at the Rockton Fair. But christmas time will be roughly the same meal I would have made if we did. Homegrown Palm turkey.... my potatoes, my butternut squash.... and corn done by us... grown by Gary's ex brother in law.... the grandkids like the corn.... and of course, home made bread (a loaf made the day before turned into stuffing) well, the bread maker MAKES the bread.... and then the grown kids provide the rest. Salads/punch/goodie tray.....

Honestly, the only thing I go shopping for is basically milk (unless I run out of baking supplies).....if I tried to sneak some milk from one of the beef cows, I would be headed to the moon. My 'pet', hasn't even calved yet. WHAT A SLACKER!!. I guess she will be suck holed inside with her calf this winter. Ugh. That means wheelbarrow out the cow patties and fresh bedding every single day!!

Return to “Around the Waterer”