Somebody has been shopping around the chicken coop

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Somebody has been shopping around the chicken coop

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 am

Yesterday 4 pm, while coming home, saw DH running full speed from the house to the barn, not ever a good thing.
Apparently there was an alarm call from the back of the barn, where the 29 young birds are let out from the 30x30 net covered run in to a 30x 100 open run, wit a small Pop door between the two.
All the birds were huddled in the covered run, with only one cockerel standing in the pop door yelling alarm and a handful of feathers off his back right beside him.
There is a possibility he took on a protective stand (4 month old) and stood up to whatever it was.
Closed the young birds but left Wyandottes with Mactawish out, about an hour later another alarm this time from Mactawish who normally takes the girls inside at first sign of trouble, but he had them at the front of the barn (his pen at the back) and there was one hen in front of his pop door with some head feathers missing, which makes m think the attack happened in front of the pop door, blocking Mactawish from being able to bring the girls safely inside.
I have seen an owl around, so one possibility, haven't seen Hawks in a while think they have left ? Not sure what else it could be.
Young birds being processed mid October , must decide who to keep, I see a lots of time on sittin and staring duty in my future ;)
Last edited by Ontario Chick on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Somebody has bee shopping around the chicken coop

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am

Hawks are still around here OC. I've had Coopers, Northern Harriers and Merlins in the last week. We also have Bald Eagles in the area most of the winter. Perhaps that boy has earned his keep?????
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:38 am

I'm an hour north of you OC and we still have hawks around, I don't know what they are called but I named them, the big ones that eat chickens, the little ones that eat chickens, the flying in circles ones that eat chickens and the sneaky drop suddenly out of the trees to eat chickens ones.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am
Hawks are still around here OC. I've had Coopers, Northern Harriers and Merlins in the last week. We also have Bald Eagles in the area most of the winter. Perhaps that boy has earned his keep?????
Seriously considering that :)
Skinny rooster wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:38 am
I'm an hour north of you OC and we still have hawks around, I don't know what they are called but I named them, the big ones that eat chickens, the little ones that eat chickens, the flying in circles ones that eat chickens and the sneaky drop suddenly out of the trees to eat chickens ones.
:lol:
I think they are called "Chickenhawks" I say boy... that there is a Chicken Hawk...... I learned from Bugs Bunny
unless they eat your ducks, in which case they are called Duck-hawks, or pigeon hawks you get the drift....... ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Somebody has been shopping around the chicken coop

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:00 pm

This is when I miss my poor brave Lucky!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:44 pm

I've seen more hawks around my house this past month than I ever have. Two different kinds that I can tell with my poor eyesight. One larger than the other...both scary. OC I'm glad everyone is ok and I vote to keep that young boy around!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:53 pm

I second the vote!!!

Return to “Around the Waterer”