Weather bahh

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Weather bahh

Post by kenya » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:09 pm

Well how do your chickens like this turn in weather ? From 33 degrees to 15
Mine hate it, when I let them out they race out , maybe out for 2 minutes and go right back in. I've taken to closing the door for a few hours in the afternoon to force them to spend a little time outside but mostly they sit huddled by the door till I take pity and let them back in. I even put treats out side to encourage them to stay out. Too big a change in weather I guess.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Weather bahh

Post by Happy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Mine are not liking the wind. The young ones rush from the coop to the front of the house because it’s sheltered. I tend to agree with your chickens Kenya. I prefer a slow ease into fall weather!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Mine are out of the wind but it doesn't matter they are still not fans.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Poor babies ...need some of Silkie Sues saddles for warmers .
Last edited by ross on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Allan
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Allan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:56 pm

I think my Bantam Easter Eggers are either really tough or really CRAZY! They refuse to go inside in this weather. Today they chose to stand under the lilac bush in the torrential downpour over walking through the big wide open barn door to get shelter. When the rain stopped they all got up on the roof of one of my pens, preened themselves and then carried on until dark. Doesn’t matter - rain, wind, cold, hot they want to stay outside! I often have to collect them out of the trees at night to take them in. Sometimes I can’t find one and figure it will get blown away in a storm but they always turn up in the morning grazing around the yard. They are free spirits through it all!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:39 am

the only free rangers i have at the moment are all super old or super young....and i think they're just lazy. they'd rather sit under the tree in the lawn chairs than do ANYTHING! that includes coming in out of the rain into the barn. easier to stay out there and put heads under their wings and wait it out. the only thing that will get them moving is wind. and we had crazy wind the last 2 days, so they mostly stayed in the coop on the roosts. (or with their heads in the feed).
i have one young cockerel (his good looks saved him this past weekend) that doesn't care about anything, he's out in rain, shine, wind, hail, you name it. he's too young to have witnessed snow yet....but i'm sure he'll be out and about in that too! and one of my turkeys starts the morning in with the turkeys and ends the day with the chickens (outside the turkey pen) and gets put back with the turkeys for the night....she will NOT stay in no matter what!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Most of mine are taking it in stride. I have one elderly girl that stays in unless it's sunny and warm out, and a new rooster that's been "hiding" with her. Moms with very young babies aren't going very far or for very long, but everybody else is out as usual if they can be.
Had some pouring rain yesterday, and several birds soaked to the skin, just wandering around plucking worms, as if it were the best thing in the world.

Allan
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Allan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:58 pm

My neighbor says my chickens remind her of the wild chickens in Mexico. Lol! They certainly do run wild...and fly like pheasants if the dog across the road gives chase when they are on his lawn( in laws, so they put up with the occasional stray). The dog feels defeated when they burst into the air and fly up into a tree. Maybe they don’t mind the weather because of their wild habits.

Return to “Around the Waterer”