Bumblefoot

General discussion forum.
labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Bumblefoot

Post by labradors » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:55 pm

What a deal Happy! You are so lucky to even find a vet who will look at a chicken! I hope your girl will be better now. So what is the answer I wonder? Maybe they need some little chicken shoes!

My girl has a small black "blob" on one foot, and the other foot looks as if it's about to form one as it has a very pale spot. It has formed a scab twice, which I have removed. There's nothing underneath, and the black blob came back the next day! I soak her feet every day, and I put some bag balm on them yesterday (for what that was worth).

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:02 pm

@Happy , you've found a gem of a vet!!! Hang onto them!!

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Oh I know how lucky I am believe me. I love going to this vet and not just because they are extremely reasonable. They are very level headed AND the clinic is on a working farm. To be honest I don’t take my dogs there only because I have used a different vet for years BUT this is the kind of business that I prefer to give my money to so I think it’s time to discuss a change.

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:32 pm

labradors wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:55 pm
What a deal Happy! You are so lucky to even find a vet who will look at a chicken! I hope your girl will be better now. So what is the answer I wonder? Maybe they need some little chicken shoes!

My girl has a small black "blob" on one foot, and the other foot looks as if it's about to form one as it has a very pale spot. It has formed a scab twice, which I have removed. There's nothing underneath, and the black blob came back the next day! I soak her feet every day, and I put some bag balm on them yesterday (for what that was worth).
I have another old and heavy girl with what you describe. No swelling or redness. But that’s how Big Momma’s foot was a month or so ago. Two things I’m going to do:
#1-change perch since both these girls with issues use the same perch and don’t allow anybody else to sit with them. It’s currently a 2x4 on side and slightly rounded. Going to go to something narrower. May not be the issue but worth a try.
#2-add shavings. I always do 6-8 inches of shavings in winter simply because it’s warmer. When I clean out in spring I only do a thin layer on the floor. I think these old girls need a softer landing.
The other thing I want to get is prid salve. I’ve read a lot about this drawing salve for curing bumblefoot without cutting. Can only find it on amazon here.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Sorry. I didn't see my msg so wrote it again now the original has shown up!!!
Last edited by labradors on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:55 pm

:angry:
OMG. Never trust a chicken. Or a beagle

I went grocery shopping and came home to an open kennel, a missing chicken and poop in every room of the house.
Every trace of chicken food is gone and the water tipped over.
I asked the dogs "who did this?". The lab wagged his entire back half and smiled at me. The beagle noticeably shrunk in size, averted her eyes and started whistling.
I finally found Big Momma in the basement. No clue why she went down there because its dark. I put her back in her cage filled her food and water and went about unpacking food. Then I hear screech bang screech. She is throwing herself against the door of the cage. I hadn't latched the door earlier because it is an old bent wire dog kennel that requires a good amount of force to bend the door to get it in place to close. I didn't think a chicken could produce enough force to open it. Wrong. She's moving the entire cage. So much for keeping her on padding for a couple days for her feet to heal.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:12 pm

She's quite the bruiser isn't she? At least the dogs weren't involved in the escape :).

I can certainly add some more bedding for a softer landing!

Must check the perches. I thought they were the same as the original, but maybe not. Could be that I used a rounded tree branch before, now they are 2" x 2".

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:26 pm

labradors wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:12 pm
She's quite the bruiser isn't she? At least the dogs weren't involved in the escape :).

I can certainly add some more bedding for a softer landing!

Must check the perches. I thought they were the same as the original, but maybe not. Could be that I used a rounded tree branch before, now they are 2" x 2".
Oh I’m positive the beagle helped from the outside lol. Her chicken food farts are giving her away.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Oh no! If that happened in my house, all the poop would have been "cleaned up" by the dawgs - yuck!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 am

She is obviously feeling much better ;)

Return to “Around the Waterer”