New chicks

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: New chicks

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:47 pm

My little house rooster hatched in the house and was raised alone so he didn’t really know he was a chicken. Therefore he functioned in the house just like a dog or cat would. He knew supper time and bed time and “tv time”. He also couldn’t jump or fly so there was never an issue with him getting on the counter and helping himself. I imagine that a normal chicken would be difficult to have in the house as a pet. And living alone in a cage doesn’t sound like a happy life. My suggestion would be to get him friends if you need to move him in. Or advertise him.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:40 am

I did a search for seramas for sale and didn't find any locally, so no friends for the little roo that way. I found a Facebook page in the states called Pet Serama Marketplace. I wonder if it is a chicken mill? I forgot that I have an EO pullet that is a week or so younger than him, and hopefully I will have some pullets in the group of Ameraucana chicks (I've seen 6 males so far and suspect there are more). Do you think he'd do all right living with them for the winter? He's already in with the Ameraucanas.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:38 pm

House rooster? How would you keep a rooster in the house?
Congrats, snookie, they are beautiful.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Happy wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:47 pm
My little house rooster hatched in the house and was raised alone so he didn’t really know he was a chicken. Therefore he functioned in the house just like a dog or cat would. He knew supper time and bed time and “tv time”. He also couldn’t jump or fly so there was never an issue with him getting on the counter and helping himself. I imagine that a normal chicken would be difficult to have in the house as a pet. And living alone in a cage doesn’t sound like a happy life. My suggestion would be to get him friends if you need to move him in. Or advertise him.
Did he, um, use a litter box? Or ask to bet let out to do his bidness? I would love to have a house rooster if that issue could be solved.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Yes, he did use a litter box, sort of. @Happy posted about him circa 2016 that apparently he would run back to his cage when he needed to take care of business.:-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Jaye wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:12 pm
Yes, he did use a litter box, sort of. @Happy posted about him circa 2016 that apparently he would run back to his cage when he needed to take care of business.:-)
He did most of the time. And those times that he didn’t make it there was a dog more than happy to clean it up. They think chickens are treat dispensers
I would love to have another house rooster. But he was a special circumstance. His name was Happy Gilmore (thus my profile name)
CED28BCB-A25B-48E1-8BF1-97E256FF65F9.jpeg

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Shnookie wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:40 am
I did a search for seramas for sale and didn't find any locally, so no friends for the little roo that way. I found a Facebook page in the states called Pet Serama Marketplace. I wonder if it is a chicken mill? I forgot that I have an EO pullet that is a week or so younger than him, and hopefully I will have some pullets in the group of Ameraucana chicks (I've seen 6 males so far and suspect there are more). Do you think he'd do all right living with them for the winter? He's already in with the Ameraucanas.
Shnookie house chickens are becoming a very popular pet in the states. And small chickens like Seramas and Silkies are among the most popular.
My Old English boys love the big girls and they do fine with them. My Old English Bantams fare ok outside but in extended cold spells I bring them inside into a cage in the basement. I'm not sure about Serama since their smaller still.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:53 am

I saw the Serama rooster sparring with some of the bigger Ameraucana chicks yesterday. I think he should be taken out of the pen. I think there are about 12 Ameraucana roosters (out of 16 chicks :( ). They are still in quarantine. If someone was keeping a Serama as a pet (as an only chicken) what would they feed them? They wouldn't want to buy a large bag of feed or grit.

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:00 am

Well there's an entire FB group devoted to House Chickens (or those that view their chickens as pets) with over 10 ,000 members lol. I would be one of those members! I'm not positive what people feed them. I think a lot of people with house chickens also have outside chickens so it's not an issue to buy a large bag. Or they have several house chickens or "patio chickens" so again not an issue.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:02 pm

I would feed him the normal chicken feed as long as its not too big a crumble for him to comfortably eat.

Return to “Around the Waterer”