New chicks

General discussion forum.
Shnookie
Free Ranging

Re: New chicks

Post by Shnookie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm

I put up an ad for the Serama cockerel. No interest so far. He's maturing quickly and starting to spar with the bigger Ameraucanas.

Some of the muffless chicks are starting to get some growth.

Out of 16 chicks, I have seen 3 blue males, and about 6 splash males so far. The two biggest splash ones in the picture are males. The whole group is quite flighty. I'm going to have to split them up soon. There isn't enough space in that pen for all of them to grow out.

I haven't seen any health problems so far.

Here's a new picture of the group.
IMG_7010.JPG

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Today I split the group, males and females. If I'm right, I have 4 blue cockerels and 4 splash cockerels, and 5 splash pullets and 3 blue pullets. They are pretty much wild. She said they were free ranging before I bought them (smallest ones are about 2 1/2 months old). I wonder if they will get quieter. I don't usually handle them a lot. I put my lonely EO chick in with them. She didn't know what to do. She has been living alone all this time. A couple of the bigger Ameraucanas have been bugging her. I put an extra feeder and waterer in, and a couple places to hide. She stands out because of her color, as well as the fact she doesn't speak "chicken" yet. A few of the Ameraucanas have ugly heads, the kind where the front of it is short and their beaks point more down than out.

I had no one interested in the Serama. I don't know what I'll do with him. I see his former owner has 2 Leghorn roosters and 5 more Serama roosters for sale.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:35 pm

The Serama rooster was adopted yesterday. I gave him to a family from Manitoba. He sure has a lot of miles on him - Aberdeen to Saskatoon, Saskatoon to south of Regina, back to Regina, then off to Manitoba. They called him "Sir Rama". :) Hope he likes kids!

Return to “Around the Waterer”