WOW!!! It's Hot

General discussion forum.
muffin57
Chatty Hen

Re: WOW!!! It's Hot

Post by muffin57 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Just have to get through today and tomorrow is suppose to be a bit cooler for a couple of days and then the temp is going to climb again, I'll be able to get some chores done a food prepared for the next heat wave. I know we are more fortunate than some people with ruined crops, forest fires and people dying from the heat. as in Quebec. It has been hazy here with smoke for a few days that I believe is from forest fires burning near the Manitoba border. In a news release today they said that 7 new forest fires in NW Ontario and that smoke is drifting in from the west and the US. We've had a hazy red sunset for the past three evenings. It was feeling like 40 yesterday and just the same today. The humidity is something else again. Take care everyone!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:10 pm

aye, the heat has got to me. I am getting used to it but with my extra bodyweight (I hit 312! where I ammnormally 285 (which is still too much)) I am too hot to do firewood so i am way behind on that...and winter is coming!

not to mention Duchess has “hot spots” and the bill from the vet today $571! (they have a big staff and they deserve a good pay but it still stings)
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:25 pm

What .... no Bananas for my breakfast 🌽Corn Flakes .Holy Crap man .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:37 am

baronrenfrew wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:10 pm
aye, the heat has got to me. I am getting used to it but with my extra bodyweight (I hit 312! where I ammnormally 285 (which is still too much)) I am too hot to do firewood so i am way behind on that...and winter is coming!

not to mention Duchess has “hot spots” and the bill from the vet today $571! (they have a big staff and they deserve a good pay but it still stings)
Bert...body weight has little to do with falling behind on the chores...i am a tad leaner than you but this heat makes it hard to maintain the pace for a full days work outside, and getting the wood in is more than a days work...

...as to the vet bill, i find that the costs are getting stupid...i think what is happening is that the vets are finally cluing in to the fact that the public sees their pet as a member of the family to be saved at all costs...this is a recent phenomenon...hot spots are no fun, we have had two occurances in recent years but the remedy does not warrant that kind of billing...its at a point where people are not going to be able to pay so will choose to put the animal down...and then there is a movement afoot to remove the animal from your possession because you are unable to provide the necessities of life... :gaah:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:13 pm

yep, and "vet tourism" is an option for folks within an hours drive of the US border. I am aware of many folks that go down for spaying and neutering and other bigger costs due to the price being about half what we pay here.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Yes the vet tourism happens here but now some of the US vets are hiking the prices assuming that Canadians don't check.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Yes the vet fees are getting stupid ridiculous, each time I took my moms pup in for shots it was 200 dollars and I had to take her in 3 times and thats just for shots.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:34 pm

TomK if you wash clip the hair off the hot spot, wash it with Betadine or soap, then dry it thoroughly, and then put zinc ointment on it, I have found they are easy to get rid of and it doesn't matter if the dog licks off the zinc. Just put some more on

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Shnookie wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:34 pm
TomK if you wash clip the hair off the hot spot, wash it with Betadine or soap, then dry it thoroughly, and then put zinc ointment on it, I have found they are easy to get rid of and it doesn't matter if the dog licks off the zinc. Just put some more on
Thanks @Shnookie ...thats pretty well what i learned last time in...and i even have a clipper now...Esther had it bad on the underside of her neck (Great Pyrennes) so you can imagine...even today she just stands there and takes in a good scratching in that area ..i think the nerve endings got zinged a bit..it was a pretty harsh dose....
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't work very long in this crazy heat. I dread getting the hay in.

Return to “Around the Waterer”