One man’s garbage

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

One man’s garbage

Post by Happy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:33 am

Hubby was digging a trench for a new electrical install the other day and dug up a few old bottles that he brought home. It seems he understands now why I’ve been doing this since I was a kid. Every old farm has at least one dumping pit and I’ve dug up everything from grinding stones from a mill to old brass hubs from spokes car wheels to medicine and poison bottles. Anybody else dabble in this?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: One man’s garbage

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:23 pm

I used to dive for bottles in the Thames a long time ago, fascinating histories to them.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 pm

i must admit it lost my interest when we moved to our current farm....the garbage around here is unbelievable. a pair of skates. 2 half trucks (and not from the same truck....2 different trucks). truck and car trim pieces. bottles. knives everywhere. broken glass everywhere-every spring we find more and more and more. windshield wipers. a load of old yellow brick. 30 sheets of roofing steel. an old water tank tower. barbed wire fencing EVERYWHERE in rolls pushed over the edge of the ravine. If anyone wants old bottles, please pm me, and bring a box or ten or a truck or two and i'll show you where they are. they're all old and some are intact....all over the riverbank ravine....sigh. can't run my dog through there because of all the garbage. hydro insulators....um....there even IS a kitchen sink out there, and a washing machine....every year we haul more to the dump, or out for recycling....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:32 pm

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... Qx6BAgKEAE

I love glass. I've dabbled in stained glass. It's the colours and the sparkle. I have tons of Amber, Cobalt and milk glass bottles. I love this lady's idea for using scraps.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:10 am

Those are beautiful.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:15 am

If there was a dumping pit on our property, we have not found it, and there may have been more than one since there is no ravine or steep drop-off of a hill. So it would have had to be dug. Plus, we own only a portion of the the original acreage. In the soil, we have only found metal pieces of this and that, broken glass, a porcelain knob, and lots and lots of rocks of all sizes.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Richard "dabbles". He collects junk and then sells it. Of particular interest are old bottles, and coloured hydro insulators. We are on rock here, so there is no "pit"...previous owners just dumped things on the ground...in rock piles, along fence lines, wherever. The owners directly before us, weren't even THAT particular. They dumped garbage in the middle of fields, even on the front lawn. I've hauled countless trailer loads to the dump, and there's still countless more. Appliances, carpets, furniture that was garbage before it even left the store, clothing, broken windows, you name it. We've got "most" of it moved up front (where it sits, looking ugly) but at least we've got a couple fields that we can cut hay off of. We couldn't before. I will never be able to walk barefoot on my own property, I find new glass shards almost daily.
I like beach glass, pretty rocks, and seashells :) but there's no beach here, and that's probably for the best LOL as my collecting habits tend to spiral out of control. At one point I had crates and crates of said bric-a-brac. Nope, I'll stick to chickens :D :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks:

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm not a collector at all. In fact I hate clutter and my love of "digging" has nothing to do with acquiring or profiting. It's the discovery. I've given more treasures away than I've kept. I have a box in the garage and a long high shelf in my dining room filled with my keepers.
For me it's exciting to uncover something and carefully working to discover what you've found/if it's intact. I should have been an archaelogist.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:20 pm

My dad bought this place in 1972 and my brothers cleaned a lot of garbage away. last summer I dug a truck frame from the sugar bush- licence plate still attached - 1932, and of course once the frame was out under we found glass and more junk. The gas pipeline came through mid 80’s and the took away lots of garbage. the glass from broken bottles is never ending. barefoot here will never be safe; but nails and glass are becoming less common.
aye, may we learn from our mistakes.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:08 am

Oh, I forgot to mention that we do have a dumping pit where others have tossed their garbage - it's called an old straw bin in the barn. Pretty sad, actually. We would need one of those High-Hoe claw machines to get all the stuff out - mostly old roof shingles as far as we can tell. So I would say that those who started dumping in the old straw bin were everyone who came after the original owners. :gaah:

Return to “Around the Waterer”