How do I import eggs, chickens from U.S.?

General discussion forum.
Dutch lady
Newly Hatched Chick

How do I import eggs, chickens from U.S.?

Post by Dutch lady » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:22 am

Good morning folks, I am counting on your experience to direct me. I am thinking about importing some birds/ eggs from the U.S. Can you people tell me what kind of hoops I have to jump thru to accomplish this? Thanks I know you are the ones to ask?

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Re: How do I import eggs, chickens from U.S.?

Post by modern17 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:37 pm

In short , its the same procedure for importing eggs legally as it is for bringing in live birds legally.I prefer to bring in lives as the factors around hatching eggs are great.. if they come in live .. at least you are part way there...sort of speak.The eggs must originate from a flock that is tested for Pullorum Typhoid ( this test depending on the state may be good for anywhere from 60 days to a year.. all are different.., and depending on the area .. an Avian Influenza test of the adults of the eggs may be required ( from certain areas and if waterfowl are involved it is a must ) The shipment must be accompanied with original paperwork that has the state ag stamp and be valid ( usually good for 30 days) but can take up to 3 weeks to get from the state ..( this has happened to me with live shipments.. the paperwork took so long to get back it was invalid by the time the shipper received it back from the state ag office with the stamp) ., on top of all that ..this all requires finding some one who is willing to go through this find a vet to sign off at the US end , not an easy task as most who would sell eggs do not want to go through all this when they can ship eggs and live birds with in the country via the US postal service. Then you must crossing during inspection hours 8 am - 4:30 PM M-F as weekends are possible but expensive .. the whole procedure is expensive as all these requirements have some one looking for payment some how.( $75 - 200 depending on who is involved and fees) It will cost you at the border to have them inspected by CFIA. which is not that bad if crossing during the week I think it is still $35 .. but on the weekend add $150 to that . Sending them through the mail is not really an option .. legally it is not .. and not to offend anyone on here that works there .. but fragile to most postal workers means throw underhand not over hand. Not to discourage you .. but trying to be factual. There are many people who bring in eggs illegally, to that I can not comment .. but beware its not friendly if you get caught...Just my two cents.
TL

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: How do I import eggs, chickens from U.S.?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:01 pm

:good post:
Troy pretty much covered it. Just to add, assuming you are buying eggs or birds from the same flock, the paperwork and the cost is the same whether you are importing one egg/bird or a hundred, so many importers will get multiple people to order at the same time, to keep the costs per egg/bird down. If you are wanting to buy from multiple breeders, each one will need their flock tested as Pullorum and Fowl Typhoid free under the NPIP program, so costs go up. The costs to have testing done varies by state. If the eggs/birds are to be shipped rather than picked up (for instance, the birds you really want are in Philadelphia, but you want them mailed to upstate New York to save yourself travel costs), there are other costs associated with that, especially if, as Troy mentioned, the paperwork becomes out of date, the shipment is delayed for any reason, or postal workers decided to play a game of soccer with your precious cargo.

Return to “Around the Waterer”