Answers: 2

Chickens in Silicon Valley

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Chickens in Silicon Valley

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:55 pm

I saw that on CBS news! That was some fancy chicken house too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:00 pm

I wonder if any of those brains in Silicon Valley have succumbed to “chicken math” yet!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:13 pm

I have to admit, I "resembled that remark", (call me crazy, I will own it) right up until I read "exorbitant veterinarian bills and a steady diet of organic salmon, watermelon and steak."
I personally think there's a very fine line, and it's more easily crossed than most of us care to admit roflmbo
Although my birds get the occasional treats of watermelon rind or a leftover spaghetti pot, they're unlikely to get salmon even with a gun to my head. If I pay $26 a kg for salmon (not that I would), that sucker is MINE. My birds are expected to THRIVE on free range and scratch grain with some added protein supplement.
I expect them to live and breed at LEAST 7 years barring acute illness, accident or predator attack, and the healthiest and best live 10-12, or 14, or even 16 years, no pampering required. The ones that need the most care, don't live to be old, so I try not to get attached. Mostly successful :rofl:
I spent over $200 once on vet bills and testing when I thought my entire flock was at risk. I'd do it again
My chickens are not a status symbol, but ARE a source of personal pride, and I expect the leap from personal to public pride is a short one. After all, us "normal" backyard chicken folk experience our own crests and valleys with breed trends (currently Brahma, before that, Orpingtons), and things like non-gmo feed, soy-free feed, the latest advancements in snake oil poultry health remedies like homeopathic (translation: water) dewormers or VetRX, or housing design improvements.
It's a short trip to madness ;) and what boat you take may very well depend on how much of your income or savings is disposable.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:18 am

:rofl: They probably hire someone to clean the coops or change the chicken diapers, too. Like a chicken nanny! After all, the chickens in silicon valley poop like every other chicken in the world, and they are messy. That article did not tell the whole story! ...unless I missed that part?

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:50 am

Good to know that we are trendy, not just crazy :).

Here's a video about it and they show a lovely custom-built coop!

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/silicon-v ... ken-coops/

Linda

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't judge. I've had a very spoiled house rooster who woke me up every single morning and who required a babysitter. You do what you do when you need (want) to do it. I'm a firm believer that society in general has become too far removed from the rest of the living things that we share this planet with...especially those that we classify as "food" because it's not comfortable for many to think about. So I applaud any connection provided it's not oppressive or abusive. More power to those pampered chickens!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:44 pm

:iagree:
and thanks @labradors for posting the video,
I watch with glee the "brains" who are now discovering, what we have found out long time ago :) and I suspect if I lived in a fancy house, my chicken coop would be pretty fancy too. ;)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Hee hee! I read the article and was disappointed that there were no pictures of these amazing $20,000 coops, so I went searching for more info :).

BTW we just finished our new coop which cost a lot more than we expected, but nowhere near $20K!

Linda

Return to “Around the Waterer”