Concerning item in the news - Dead Chickens on the road

General discussion forum.
modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Concerning item in the news - Dead Chickens on the road

Post by modern17 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:34 am

Not all news regarding chickens is a good thing.
Seems some one felt it necessary to dump a load of dead chickens on the side of the road in Simcoe County yesturday ??? Concerning !!!
https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/hundreds-of-dead-chickens

if you can not open the link.. check our CTV news Barrie
TL

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Concerning item in the news - Dead Chickens on the road

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 am

WTH??!!!! a commercial farm changing out flocks and lost the load???? i don't even know how something like that could happen....although i did witness a manure spreader (liquid) dump an entire load the whole way across 2 and down a backroad, unaware he'd blown a seal in the tank....
but still!!!! hopefully they can find out where they came from and if they were culled for a specific reason or what....if just for the sake of the farms that have poultry around there. i hope it was an accidental dumping, and not on purpose.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:42 am

That was my first concern too WLL...why did they die and how close to me did this happen. Seems odd to me they are taking the carcasses to the dump. I hope they are incinerating them and not just dumping them. If there was some type of disease involved that seems like an outbreak waiting to happen. I’m in Simcoe County but quite a distance from this event. Lots of active farms in that area though. LOTS.

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:13 am

They did not appear to be " commercial " type layers.. but rather red layers like you would buy from hatcheries for back yard flocks... they did appear to be " spent hens ". Who knows what the circumstances were... my concern is they were more concerned about getting them cleaned up rather than finding out where they came from. Like I say concerning
TL

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:53 am

i hope they think about finding out where they're from and why they're dead, and on the road! much more important questions.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Probably them FREE RANGE chickens they's keep talkin about & they found out after chootin them there were no meat so dumped um for yote bait . He said tongue in cheek . Hehaww
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Omg. I hope they will publish updates. We need to know what they died of, and where the carcasses were being taken. maybe a map of where they were found would yield a clue re direction of travel? Several roads? I wasn't able to open the link and there's not much to the snippet on the the CTV Barrie website.

Return to “Around the Waterer”