Hatched by the Moon

General discussion forum.
Shnookie
Free Ranging

Hatched by the Moon

Post by Shnookie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 pm

I just saw an ad on Kijiji where they said the chicks for sale "were hatched by the moon which makes them hardier". They didn't say which moon they used. :rofl:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Hatched by the Moon

Post by KimChick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Betcha it was a full moon.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:43 am

There are people who think the Farmers Almanac is as accurate as The Bible.
There are people, including some on here, who swear by setting eggs at certain phases of the moon, or so that they hatch at certain phases of the moon.
It works for them. I pay no attention and generally hatch like gangbusters, and that works for me.
I personally cannot say whether or not the amount of shadow on the moon makes a difference in hatch rates, and although the subject interests me, and I hatch a LOT, and generally keep good records, I have to say that noting and adding how much shadow is on the moon at certain times is too much work for me so I cannot add my own anecdotal evidence to the matter, for nor against. I set eggs when I get a certain number from a group and a certain amount of space in the incubator, regardless of the day of the month or the phase of the moon. The hens don't seem to take note at ALL, I've had some go broody and others hatch this week, last week, and the week before. I try to take lessons from them, and set and hatch when they are, so that I can sneak chicks under them and don't have to brood so many. If chicks are sickly, get lost/cold/die or are taken by predators, I'm a logical rational person and I don't blame the amount of shadow falling on the moon at the time of their hatch.
As to making chicks hardier, well, I work in a long term care home. For whatever reasons, It's generally bananas in there on a full moon, and I guess there's a reason for the term "lunacy". I'm not sure if there is a measurable effect at work, or just caregivers' expectations. In any case, the moon certainly doesn't make PEOPLE hardy, shadowed or not, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to make CHICKS hardy. Show me the studies, or at least the records that says shadows on the moon affect fertility, hatchability and chick health, and I will take notice. Until then, I will nod and smile, I'm afraid.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 am

Interesting topic. Many things like tides, menstruation etc. are connected to Moon cycles but how - who knows. Just nod and smile. I always find it interesting how our normal circadian rhythm is actually longer than the 24hr day when students were studied with no time references. Makes you wonder whether the earth always had a 24hr cycle?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”