Election Day tomorrow!

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Election Day tomorrow!

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:26 am

When we did one of our training sessions we had one of the trainers rant on about people declining ballots. It was totally inappropriate for him to say that they shouldn't be allowed to!
We're in the same position. The incumbent does a great job locally although I don't support the party. He basically asked people to look at him not the leader.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:40 am

I am in exactly the same position as many here, in that not a single party leader is worth voting for. I seriously considered a decline to vote, or a write-in vote myself. I don't generally vote for a party, but vote for the leader of that party FIRST, and party ideology second, but not a one of them currently is one I would want to see my tax dollars employing. I'm in much the same boat as Killerbunny, in that I like our local MPP, but absolutely cannot, in all good conscience, vote for him because a vote for him is a vote for the party leader; and the particular party leader in question is abhorrent to me. Not because he's PC, because he's a misogynistic nutbar.
Wynne is stepping down? Great. Grand. Too bloody late. There is never going to be a way to mop up the mess she made, and I feel very bad for whoever the Liberal party nominates to take her place...they are going to have a hard, uphill slog for a very long time. She made, and continues to make, some very, very bad decisions.
Horwath, who is (fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) likely going to do very, very well, can't get my vote, either, because she's a hypocritical poorly closeted radical.
Schreiner I admit to not knowing very well. Green is underrepresented in my neck of the woods, and because they don't get a lot of votes, they don't get a lot of money, and because they don't get a lot of money, they don't get a lot of attention good or bad. However, having read GPOs policy book, I can't in good conscience throw my vote their way, either. They want to implement some policies that are unreasonable, and unworkable.
There are other parties of course, but which ones, if any, get representation in my area is often a crapshoot, and, as with Green, you don't get to know them at all unless you go digging around and knocking on doors.

So I can't vote for any of them and still sleep well afterwards, but you bet your boots I'm going to vote. I really don't understand the lazy, laissez faire attitude of people who shrug and say stupid :sSig_censored: like "well, it won't make a difference, anyway". Of COURSE it makes a difference. Every vote sends a message, and dollars to a party. Refusing to vote, in my mind, means you lose the right to complain if other rights and privileges are removed from you.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:50 am

I never stop appreciating the opportunity to vote, never get tired of the privilege, even as I am bemused by the choices.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:20 pm

I hate all politicians equally. Whining lying pork barrelers, the bunch of them. That said, I have voted green the last few elections, not because they have any chance, but to register disgruntlement with the lot of them. And for voting for a good local candidate, doesn't matter. The party whips them in line or toss them out, they have no independence to vote conscience or general good.

Don't get me goin. I gotta head into town and not vote.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Yes, WLLady my daughter informed me today that is her decision to go and decline to vote. That's unfortunate, but it is a person's right to decline. I don't know that it will change anything, but I guess it sends the politicians the message that their is no one worth voting for. I'm really glad to read all of your opinions. It's good to know that I'm not alone in my indecisiveness of who to vote for. I'm just waiting for my husband to get home from work and then we are going together to cast our ballots. I guess I will be watching tv this evening to view the outcome.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:33 pm

well when I went to vote there was a huge line-up. The clerks said they had never seen such a turnout!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Well did my duty and voted. Bumped into 2 nieghbours there. Neat electronic voting this time. A tad slow out here but neat. Now watching the numbers.....pc majority likely....and liberals may or may not keep party status...i think they need 8 seats to stay a party....think this is a pretty clear statement by ontarians!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:26 am

We elected a loudmouth schnook. Well this is a poultry forum. So the foghorn leghorn cartoons reference.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:41 am

i must admit that instead of declining my vote i voted for the constituent that i felt would best listen and deal with and negotiate for the wants and needs of, well, ME. LOL. so i did vote. but never in my life have I been so tempted to decline. i always feel like i'm taking an exam when i go to vote. i find it very stressful. it shouldn't be, i'm just having my say, but still i do not find it a fun thing to do at all. i just hope as a democracy here that we have all picked the lesser of the evils, and that something good comes from it. and i sure hope that he doesn't turn out to be a trump....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:42 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:26 am
We elected a loudmouth schnook. Well this is a poultry forum. So the foghorn leghorn cartoons reference.
Yes 'we' did indeed...i love(d) Foghorn Leghorn so that took me back a bit...we have a very nice, competent PC MPP here in this riding and there really was no fear of his being unseated and that's ok with me, but I have wondered just what a government would be like if none of these elected people had to follow party dictate and just be good responsible representatives for their constituancy...a true democratic situation...not gonna happen of course but a fella can dream, can't he?... Loudmouth indeed...a mini Trump...time will tell...I think i will go out and watch the chickens...always a good way to start the day... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”