Debeaking question

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Debeaking question

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:18 am

The neighbors just got 10 RSL started pullets from the hatchery in St. Thomas. They have had their beaks trimmed. I had told them to ask for some that had not been debeaked when they went to pick them up, as they plan to free range and I think this interferes.

So they asked and were told that the government makes them debeak as chicks. I am guessing this is a made up excuse. I think the hatchery does this so that when raised in high density, they don't pick at each other. Anyone know for sure?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Debeaking question

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:19 am

Sorry, hatchery in St Jacobs.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:27 am

My chickens came from Frey's last year and had their beaks trimmed. They cannot peck into a large zuke, let alone a small cucumber or an apple. I have to prep everything for them. I feel so bad that they cannot enjoy life as much as they should.

I'm betting that you are right and it is done purely for the convenience of the hatchery :(.

Linda

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 am

OK so debeaking and trimming are 2 different things. If they have had beak trims the beak will most likely grow back. It did for my very first girls from Freys and they free ranged just fine. Debeaking is, IMO, barbaric and takes most of the top half of the beak away. In this case it generally will not grow back correctly.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 am

Just went over and looked at them, and it is trimmed, not debeaked. Really blunted top and bottom, sort of look like they are trying to whistle. They were out on the ground picking bugs and stuff, but I expect they will have trouble pecking into a melon or some such.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:15 am

My three came from Freys debeaked. Freys claimed that it would not prevent them from free ranging, and it didn't seem to. They pecked zucchini. They ate melons but I always cut them in half and they left the rinds, so I don't know if they could open a melon. I suspect they could. Two of three beaks grew back completely. The third one had an incomplete top beak until the end (age 4). I did not notice if she had trouble pecking into things. She was fat and happy, though, so don't despair.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks for explaining KB. I was wondering how one of mine is able to peck the others - grrrr! Now I understand that her beak probably HAS grown back. I had read that if the beaks are cauterized as a day-old chick, that they will not grow back, so that is what I feared.

Linda

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

I've seen some, horrible jobs , not much beak left. I understand why they do it but I think some employees do a horrible job or just don't care.
I can't see why the government would make it manditory, I think that's a lie, but I don't know for sure. You could in the past ask that it not be done.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:03 pm

The chicks that hatcheries will keep in brooder barns to raise as ready-to-lay, ALWAYS have their beaks cut as chicks. You cannot order a hatchery RTL pullet/hen that hasn't had it done. Yes, it is to keep the hens from cannibalizing each other in crowded conditions. No, it is not law, the government doesn't make them do it. It's a recommendation, not a requirement. Here is what the CARC have to say about it:
2.2 Beak Trimming
Outbreaks of feather pecking and/or cannibalism may occur among layers or older pullets in any type
of housing system, representing a significant welfare and production problem. Beak trimming
reduces injuries and deaths resulting from such outbreaks. In the future, passive strains of layers may
be developed which do not require beak trimming. Farmers will be encouraged to seek out and use
these strains. In addition, new beak trimming technologies which enhance bird well being should be
adopted.
2.2.1 Beak trimming should be carried out only by highly competent, trained individuals. Particular
attention must be paid to selection and adjustment of the equipment and to its maintenance.
2.2.2 Beak trimming should ideally take place prior to 14 days of age. This recommendation is based on
research indicating minimum trauma and rapid recovery when the operation is carried out at or before
this age. This must be weighed against practical experience which demonstrates that if trimming is
not done properly at this age, a further trim will be required later in life. When correctly done early,
beak trimming provides permanent protection from feather pecking damage. Beak trimming is not
recommended after eight weeks of age.
2.2.3 Approximately two to three days before and two to three days after beak trimming, an electrolyte
solution containing vitamins, particularly vitamin K, should be added to the water to facilitate blood
clotting, to alleviate stress and reduce dehydration.
2.2.4 After trimming, feed and water consumption should be monitored carefully until beaks are healed.
Feed levels should be raised and water pressure may have to be lowered or waterers manually
triggered for several days following trimming. Follow breeder recommendations for changes in feed
to minimize weight loss.
6  Recommended Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Farm Animals - Poultry - Layers
2.2.5 Feather pecking can be reduced by increasing feed availability and reducing group size, and with
loose flocks, adding litter. The addition of bales of hay is useful for outdoor flocks. A nutritionally
balanced diet as well as other good management practices will reduce feather pecking.

How much is taken off the beak will determine if it eventually grows back at all. It has a "root", and if it is damaged, beak growth will be slow. How much is taken off depends very little on the tool used, and more on the care and consideration of the handler. If you have to beak trim thousands of tiny chicks in a set amount of time, mistakes will be made.
The only way to avoid debeaking in hatchery layers is to buy them as chicks.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:52 pm

"Day old chicks can be beak trimmed on request. We do not recommend beak trimming White Rock chicks due to their rapid growth and shorter life span. We cannot assume responsibility if higher mortality (starve-outs) is experienced with beak-trimmed chicks.

We do not beak trim turkeys, ducks or pheasants.

Started and Ready to Lay are infrared laser beak treated at dayold to prevent picking and egg breakage. Beak treatment still allows the hens to “scratch” feed or range"
The above is from Freys website.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”