Do you kiss your chickens?

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Do you kiss your chickens?

Post by Happy » Mon May 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Kiss a chicken? How dusgusting! Who would actually admit to kissing a chicken!? :hide:

OF COURSE I KISS MY CHICKENS!

If I didn’t kiss them good morning who would?!

Anybody remember Charley Pride?

Kiss a chicken good morning...and let her know you think about her when you’re gone.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon May 28, 2018 3:37 pm

I've had a bird hop up in my lap, sit down and fall asleep. I've also tucked cold chicks into my coat or sweater...do those things count as cudding? What about little ducklings crawling up my coat and under my hair? I've picked up struggling birds and stroked their ears to calm them. I've carried birds around for no good reason--I have a little rooster, Squirrelly, who LOVES to be picked up and carried around when there are other roosters nearby. I've had a couple special pet birds that I held in affection, as they died or just before they were euthanized, even though I hadn't made a habit of it before. Frankie the hen and Jeremiah Puddleduck (Jemima would not work in his case) come to mind. If any of those count, then yes, I cuddle my birds.
Kiss them? No, I can't say that I've ever kissed any. It's never even occurred to me, and now that the idea has been presented, I find it rather confusing. I buried my nose in a duck's down once, because it smelled like outdoors and sunshine, and yummy flesh, and I dreamed of BBQ, but I can't say that there was anything affectionate in the gesture :rofl:
No, you cannot transmit a cold sore or chicken pox to chickens, and they cannot transmit ILT or Marek's to you. No, you cannot get coccidiosis from chickens or give it to them. The species of protozoa that usually affect humans are very limited, and not known to infect chickens. The species of parasite that infect chickens are, well, there's quite a few of them, but the inverse is generally true. Humans getting coccidiosis at ALL is rare, and generally only in people with deficient immune systems, like those of the elderly, and AIDS patients, although fetuses exposed to toxoplasma in utero can (rarely) have problems. You could, theoretically, if you have AIDS or are 100 years old, catch a coccidial infection from eating raw chicken or drinking water that your chicken has pooped in. Don't do those things, and you can kiss your chickens as much as you want :dunno:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Nope, I don't kiss them! I do cuddle, pet, and talk to them but it never occurred to me to kiss them :)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes, that is all well and good. But can they catch Herbies from you, if you have a cold sore? They say the Herbies virus is quite hardy. I wouldn't want to see mu chicken break out in a cold sore. How would they eat?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon May 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Tube/syringe feeding would help that Farrier lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon May 28, 2018 6:12 pm

Tube/syringe feeding would help that Farrier lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Mon May 28, 2018 6:49 pm

Guilty! I nuzzle more than kiss, and make kissy noises to them. Maybe because they are babies. My late adult chickens did not get as much affection. They would jump on my lap and get petted. That was about it. Ok, maybe I hugged them a little when I set them down. But these little 4-5-week olds flutter up to my shoulder right where I can stick my nose in their fluffy crests, so I do. Can't help myself. Does anybody else kiss their flowers? I told each tree as I planted it to grow and be happy. Yes, I know. Nutty as a fruitcake.

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Mon May 28, 2018 9:27 pm

I've never kissed a hen...... no, really I haven't. I don't deny they are sexy, just not for me.
Andy :egg:

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue May 29, 2018 3:27 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:39 pm
Yes, that is all well and good. But can they catch Herbies from you, if you have a cold sore? They say the Herbies virus is quite hardy. I wouldn't want to see mu chicken break out in a cold sore. How would they eat?
It's all good. Pucker up.
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (10.57 KiB) Viewed 2332 times

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 am

Hmmmm sitting here in the turkey bush in the dark with time on my hands . 🦃
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 2330 times