Re: The best part about poultry

Post by SusanH » Thu May 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Happy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm
SusanH wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 pm
Skinny rooster wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm

I think we are still supposed to get some cold nights, six weeks and they are usually safe to stay out so it doesn't hurt to baby them some more, but it definitely does hurt if they get sick and die from the cold. My bantam chicks roost on their own without mom at five weeks but my barn doesn't swing in temperature, it's always around +10. Better to be safe than sorry.... what kind did you get??? :)
Polish. They were from white crested blue and WC black parents , and the chicks seemed to be three of each based on two different down colour patterns. One late hatchling runt didn't make it, but what I have now is three all black and two black with some white in the crest. They are adorable! They fly up into my lap or onto my head while I'm filling their feeder and generally make me smile. I am amazed at the range of sounds they make! They sound like songbirds! They have these names until they reveal their gender: Marsha(Marshall), Dilbert(Mildred), Mo, Boris and Natasha. The latter because they look like they are wearing fur hats. (Anyone remember Rocky and Bullwinkle?)
The ducks are runner ducks, one each white, fawn and blue. At least one is female, based on a loud QUack, but I am hoping there is a second one. Their names are Happy, Charlie/Charlotte, and Alfie/Elfie.
They grow so fast!
Awww you named a duck after me! I'm honoured!!!
Lol my profile name comes from a former pet rooster named Happy Gilmore. I used to love playing that song "because I'm Happy...." And watching him dance around.
It was between Nabisco (what I might call my next quacker) and Happy. If figured if Happy does turn out to be a drake, he will be very Happy to have such beautiful girlfriends. Especially the blue one, Elfie. The naked ribs of the feathers (tell me what that part of the feather is called!) are a beautiful blue, on the wing tips, for example, and her bill is green. Stunning.
Your rooster could dance? My babies seem to like music, too. Maybe I will dance with them. Cool!

Return to “Around the Waterer”