New additions

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: New additions

Post by TomK » Thu May 03, 2018 9:58 pm

As promised...al six look about the same so here is one...I am NO photograper...obviously
image.jpeg
:run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Fri May 04, 2018 12:15 am

Oh Tom I think I saw those on kijiji, marans in Odessa. I know, I shouldn't even be looking....but here's the thing. When I got the Polish chicks, I figured my three older girls RSLs could have some time with a rooster and I could raise some healthy mutts. But now that my big girls were all killed, all I have left are these 12-day old chicks, no doubt brothers and sisters, so I guess their offspring would be all buck teeth and crossed eyes, so I'd better figure out what to do. I am starting to understand how chicken math works! I mean, obviously the only solution to this problem is more chickens, and probably chicks of a different breed but the same age,to reduce strife, better get a bunch to raise the odds of some being female, and um, will they all fit in my coop or should I build another?:)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri May 04, 2018 5:02 am

Build more!!!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri May 04, 2018 6:28 am

SusanH wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:15 am
Oh Tom I think I saw those on kijiji, marans in Odessa. I know, I shouldn't even be looking....but here's the thing. When I got the Polish chicks, I figured my three older girls RSLs could have some time with a rooster and I could raise some healthy mutts. But now that my big girls were all killed, all I have left are these 12-day old chicks, no doubt brothers and sisters, so I guess their offspring would be all buck teeth and crossed eyes, so I'd better figure out what to do. I am starting to understand how chicken math works! I mean, obviously the only solution to this problem is more chickens, and probably chicks of a different breed but the same age,to reduce strife, better get a bunch to raise the odds of some being female, and um, will they all fit in my coop or should I build another?:)
I agree with KB...build, build, build...lol....and yes, I think the gal in Odessa had an ad on kijiji but... she put it on here too...lovely little birds, great condition...hoping for at least half to be pullets....well, actually, the truth is that i hope they are all pullets but we all know that's not happening ..lol.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Fri May 04, 2018 8:58 am

Ok I have to ask. My grandfather was a water witch, meaning he made money finding water and telling people where to dig wells, obviously back in the day when there was no high tech way. He also sexed animals, predicting the sex of offspring in pregnant animals including humans (pre-sonogram), as well as sexing poultry. Does anybody do this any more? I only met him a couple of times, but at one reunion (in BC), he wanted to see if any grandkids had the gift, and I was the only one who found the well. Maybe I will give it a go, see if my chicks and ducklings turn out the way my ring on a string says they will, better than chance. I will let you know!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri May 04, 2018 9:26 am

Ross I think does it?
I say try it.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri May 04, 2018 9:32 am

SusanH wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:58 am
Ok I have to ask. My grandfather was a water witch, meaning he made money finding water and telling people where to dig wells, obviously back in the day when there was no high tech way. He also sexed animals, predicting the sex of offspring in pregnant animals including humans (pre-sonogram), as well as sexing poultry. Does anybody do this any more? I only met him a couple of times, but at one reunion (in BC), he wanted to see if any grandkids had the gift, and I was the only one who found the well. Maybe I will give it a go, see if my chicks and ducklings turn out the way my ring on a string says they will, better than chance. I will let you know!
Interesting. I always heard people like your grandfather referred to as "diviners". First time I've heard the term "water witch". I guess it depends on geographic location. Anyway, I think there still people out there with the gift. I haven't met one lately, but I do know that there was someone in this area back a few decades ago who did it for a living.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri May 04, 2018 1:42 pm

When we were looking to see if we could get a well put in at our other property, the guy that came out witched for the best spot. That was 5 years ago. I don't remember the company name (or his lol), but my hubby would. Anyway, obviously it's still done. I tried it myself once, and couldn't find water standing over a toilet LMAO
And yes, @ross sexes chicks in this way.
Last edited by windwalkingwolf on Fri May 04, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Ok, Ross, are you here? Do you use a nail on a string, a needle on a thread, a wedding ring? do you water witch, too? Cool!

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Fri May 04, 2018 8:43 pm

TomK wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:28 am
SusanH wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:15 am
I agree with KB...build, build, build...lol....and yes, I think the gal in Odessa had an ad on kijiji but... she put it on here too...lovely little birds, great condition...hoping for at least half to be pullets....well, actually, the truth is that i hope they are all pullets but we all know that's not happening ..lol.. :run:
Tom, What does "had an ad on kijiji but... she put it on here too" mean? I couldn't find a for sale area on PTO but I'm obviously not looking in the right place.

Return to “Around the Waterer”