2018 .... another slow year? yeah right

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

2018 .... another slow year? yeah right

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:24 am

So along the lines of some of my previous threads: a slow year ... yeah right!. (a slower year year- yeah right)

here we are 2018...another slow year? you tell me.
well there's 50 stinkers in the basement because I can't count to 21. and there's another group fighting their way out of a shell right now, and I have another three dozen eggs ready to take their place in the "hot box." Yeah I'm a sucker for blue eggs as these cream legbars are drowning me in eggs. (i bought eggs last year from Jim. then i recall that there was a dozen pure and some legbar/bielefelder (or were they all a mix? Jim do you remember?)) The eggs are huge and one girl is laying greenish so her eggs didn't get "slow cooked".

Roman Geese: I'm disappointed that: 1. they lay eggs early and stop early (late Feb and stop in April: the early ones freeze before I get home from work to collect them and my brooding setup is better for chicks/goslings a bit later in the season) and 2. they don't lay that many to start with and 3. I haven't mastered the incubator for their eggs so my hatch rate is terrible (2 out of 30 eggs; but some probably got too chilled with this nasty winter.)
so the first broody goose hatched 4, and the second broody goose just started.

so I'll have chicks for sale soon to "thin the herd", the older group are some cream legbars, some partridge chanteclers, some easter eggers (cream legbar over buckeye hens) and some red layers (buckeye roo over production reds). most will be for sale by the Renfrew buy/sell/trade in late May.

not mention RIR bantams (I haven't set any eggs yet. same story with ringneck pheasants (these are all sold this weekend anyway.)

so what are you breeding so far?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: 2018 .... another slow year? yeah right

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:25 am

Now baron, at your ripe mid age, you should know there are no slow years.
I personally am just 'brooding" at this point.
Going to have a Frittata for Sunday lunch, to find out what my plans are for this spring, if there is one before summer hits. ;)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:54 am

Well I'm brooding some 6 chicks , blue ameraucana, blue wheaten ameraucana and some easter eggers because a hen went broodie then left them cold and screaming while she went out and about. I was waiting for a little warmer weather, then I'll hatch out bantam ameraucana, blue wheaten and blue standard ameraucana and silkies in white, black and paint.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Sounds like a slow year like my slow year. Lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:31 pm

It is a slow year here. I normally starts hatching in January. So far I've got 18 chicks from wllady in the big brooder until Monday. Then they move out. Just fired up the big incubator last Sunday with about one hundred eggs. There's btm cochin, silkies, ee, americana, white chants, partridge chants, and creme legbar in cooking. New eggs are being gathered and saved to set another batch Monday. My Daughter is getting married so I'm get 150 meat chicks on tuesday to putting the big brooder. I don't ussually get franken-chickens, but we want consistance for the wedding dinner, and it's a great excuse to get hubby building chicken tractors. Fertility is a bit low in my, my Daughter's and my Daughter inlaws birds. I'm quessing it's from the delayed Spring.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Going to be a slow year here. STephen has been taken out of the paddock because he kept stumbling and went off his legs yesterday. I'm thinking he wasn't eating and drinking properly and added to the stress of winter it got too much. We are also having some issues with the OPP shooting at a range not approved (long story) very near us and causing every bird to freak out. Stephen especially unhappy because with every volley of shots he challenged back. Had 4200 shots in 2 days during one session.
I have him in a private pen being hand fed scrambled egg, yog, blueberries and corn. Hoping he gets his strength back.
No fertility in the Wyandotte pen although there was in January! Hope your frittata gives results better than mine!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:49 pm

So far I have hatched: 14 mutt/ee's , eggs from my own birds, from some of KBs coloured layers, and some from a non-pto member. I also have hatched 3 Sebastopol goslings for a friend, and two turkey poults from the BSWs... unfortunately, despite my best efforts, the little buggers refused to learn to eat. Also, I've just hatched 6 babies from @Jaye s rooster. Goose eggs probably going in next.

Return to “Around the Waterer”