Chicken math is a thing.

General discussion forum.
SusanH
Starting to Crow

Re: Chicken math is a thing.

Post by SusanH » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:51 am

Unfortunately, the little guy (called Mini) didn't make it. I set up a photo shoot to send in something for the contest, with another blond chick towering over Mini, but when I went to get them, Mini was dead. Aw. He peeped, LOUD, constantly. Does than mean anything? I am also wondering, since he hatched three days later than the others, if he needed more heat? I keep the brooder at 90F. The others hatched April 19/20 and he hatched April 22. He was half the size of the others when I got them, but after five days the others were more like three times his size. Poor little guy. He kept trying to get under a duckling, but the duckling would grab him and throw him aside.
The ducklings are going to have to go outside soon. They are huge!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:26 am

yes- peeping loud is a sign of distress, lost or cold
(they peep differently if hungry or thirsty or content)

with a pure breed - bred for a feather pattern and conformation to breed - the birds are somewhat "inbred" (closely related to each other) which makes them relatively weak (and the weakest don't make it)

where "production" hatchery birds (and even your own crossbreeds) are "hybrids" which makes them very strong and healthy (and usually grow quicker)

case in point: i hatched eggs from four groups of birds and they are now a month old. three are hybrids of two breeds (legbar/buckeye, buckeye production reds, legbar/bielefelder) and one group are purebred partridge chanteclers (and 3rd generation "line" bred (so closely related)
the chanteclers are much smaller and barely feathered compared to the others
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:36 am

I often find with my turkeys that if one hatches way behind it is weaker that the others. I also mark it so that if it does make it I don't breed from it. One little guy only survived because I had a broody hen at the time who would accept ANYTHING LOL! I was getting nowhere with it. Sadly this stuff happens and likely nothing you did.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:07 am

I find with the silkies if I hatch them with other breeds and brood them with the other breeds pretty soon I have trouble. They are a little smaller and the bigger chicks take over, if I take out the bigger chicks and just leave them they are fine. I can even put the silkie chicks with chicks 2 weeks younger than them and they will do fine not picking on the younger chicks. I suspect the bigger chicks and ducks were forcing the little chick away from food and water and running him over. I see it happen with the silkies, they seem to be running around fine but when I keep watching I see that they are not drinking or eating the bigger chicks interfere every time.
2 days can make a big difference the others already know where the food and water is and are far more mobile, sometimes you can put them together and get away with it and sometimes not. Which is a pain as you have to keep it separate till it catches up.

Return to “Around the Waterer”