Mutts to purebreds

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Mutts to purebreds

Post by TomK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am

kenya wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:17 pm
Started with mutts, given eggs and hatched them out. Absolutely loved them. Got into purebreds with the internet showing all the fabulous breeds out there. So many beautiful breeds, can't have them all though.
Haha..so true, Kenya...there are so many lovely breeds and it would be wonderful to have them as part of the flock but theres just no room......ugh...I started with some Plymouth Barred Rock day olds from Bonnie's and they are still around and there are a few mutts in the mix out there now but the progression to purebreds is underway...the old girls will live out their days here tho..no stew pot for them.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am

i started with 10 mixed from freys....they sent 11.....and it went downhill fast from there. i had the 10 in a trailer coop, and now i have a barn with 15 full pens upstairs for my 15 lines (i think 8 different breeds; 4 lines of project birds) and a trailer coop and 2 other coops outside for growing out birds. and 3 stalls downstairs for turkeys with outside pens, and 2 stalls for horses.....so i went from mutts to pure to developing my own in a rather short period of time..... :hide:
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:38 pm

WLLady wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am
i started with 10 mixed from freys....they sent 11.....and it went downhill fast from there. i had the 10 in a trailer coop, and now i have a barn with 15 full pens upstairs for my 15 lines (i think 8 different breeds; 4 lines of project birds) and a trailer coop and 2 other coops outside for growing out birds. and 3 stalls downstairs for turkeys with outside pens, and 2 stalls for horses.....so i went from mutts to pure to developing my own in a rather short period of time..... :hide:
OK...I think you are my new chicken hero! :bow:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Hey Kathy, what's your timeline from start until now: 10 years?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 pm

I started with Barred Rocks from Freys sometime in the Seventies (the timelines blur now ;)... and might have stuck with them, very nice breed, if it wasn't that I fell in "deep like and admiration" with Wyandottes ! :)
The flock size changed a bit over the years, but once I got Standard of Perfection and an Incubator all hope was lost ;)

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:27 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm
Hey Kathy, what's your timeline from start until now: 10 years?
8.5 actually. Im very new compared to some on the forum here that have had birds for 40 years! But back in the 90s i raised a few chickens for embryology classes and before that i dabbled in livestock nutrition with chicks at guelph. And way before that i helped out at an egg farm....oh and i raised chickens for making antibodies in the eggs way back....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Oh I like these origin stories! I started with 3 RTLs from Freys, like Kb, just to learn and get started. Had to take time off for cancer and death and stroke and not quite done with family health disasters yet, so chicken math has been delayed, but I have my eye on a trio of runner ducks that wil be my first breeders. I can see myself bringing home eggs for my retired red sex links to incubate. How can you encourage a hen to go broody? I keep reading about how prevent it!
I would love tips for adding ducks!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:59 pm

everything you buy at a hatchery - barred rocks, sex links, production reds or whites - are extremely unlikely to go broody- they've been bred not to.

some pure breeds may will go broody. some bantam breeds - old english game, cochins - are 90% likely to go broody. then there's silkies : they may go broody twice or three times in a year. check the chart:

https://livestockconservancy.org/images ... hicken.pdf
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 am

Have to agree with the hatchery birds not being very broody. Find a good heritage breed or a non hatchery line and start there for broodiness. Then its just a matter of letting them do what they do to see who sits....

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:43 am

Mutts for me. Had chickens in BC in the 80's./ Barred rock from the hatchery, bantams from a friend. Also got an Americana roo from a friend. The BR Americauna cross gave the bluest eggs I have ever had. One of those banty hens killed a small hawk inside the coop, wailed it with her wings. I was working in the garden and heard this commotion, by the time I got to the coop, it was kicking, It made the mistake of going on her turf I guess. She had chicks at the time. Probably why I fell in love with broodys.

Now its muts, broodies and coloured eggs. Most years I get an outside roo, (this year its Boaz, thanks to Nomi, Americauna that wasn't likely to make show standards). And I set some of my eggs when they are broody, and I also get some outside eggs to keep some pure Marans or leghorn for the egg colours to keep sort of pure.

Mostly my banty lines that go broody, and I make sure to set some of their eggs every year, but that line is getting weak. I need to re introduce some this year. Probably going to get some eggs from Kenya, nice looking birds. (Kenya, is that line you have tend to be broodies?) Some breeds, like silkies are almost always broody. My old faithful setter, Fondue, has not set this year, not sure why. Last year and the year before, she raised three clutches, Mar, july and Oct.

Anyway, different people find fun in their birds different ways. You will find yours.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Around the Waterer”