General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Guest Speaker Reccomendations

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 pm

kenya wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm
Yes WLLady would be an excellent choice as well but you are making me want to go as well. I could hide out in the audience, put a hoodie on no-one would suspect.
:)
I was just thinking that would be worth a trip!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 pm

:hide:
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:13 pm

It doesn't have to be technical, right? The Ninja said she had people for that, and she was looking for people more into backyarding and/or exhibition, rather than industry...I propose a group of us show up, line up and give one-liners (I'm not a huge fan of public speaking lol), like "Hi, my name is xxx, and I keep chickens because they make me happy, and are a lot better for your health than being a crazy cat lady" Or, "I like the challenge of breeding xxx to standard" or "I think big industry is the root of all evil, and I like knowing how my food is raised". Ok, maybe not that last one roflmbo
Short speeches would be ok, mentions on how difficult many find it to get healthcare for their birds...long lectures on the difficulties of breeding purple spangled hooded whatsits; probably not.

Sort of like a Poultry Anonymous group lol

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Haha sounds like the "dark poultry web" to me Jan oops xxx
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 am

WLLady wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:35 pm
Hiya
It could work for me....
When are your meetings?
I am more than happy to try to aid and abet fellow poultry enthusiasts.....likely topic-what not to do when starting with poultry lol i think i might be the model case....

I would also nominate troy laroche as a judge and poultry enthusiast
I believe we are keeping Wednesday evenings, biweekly starting in September :-)
windwalkingwolf wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:13 pm
It doesn't have to be technical, right? The Ninja said she had people for that, and she was looking for people more into backyarding and/or exhibition, rather than industry...I propose a group of us show up, line up and give one-liners (I'm not a huge fan of public speaking lol), like "Hi, my name is xxx, and I keep chickens because they make me happy, and are a lot better for your health than being a crazy cat lady" Or, "I like the challenge of breeding xxx to standard" or "I think big industry is the root of all evil, and I like knowing how my food is raised". Ok, maybe not that last one roflmbo
Short speeches would be ok, mentions on how difficult many find it to get healthcare for their birds...long lectures on the difficulties of breeding purple spangled hooded whatsits; probably not.

Sort of like a Poultry Anonymous group lol
windwalkingwolf, I thought that was PTO's job? ;)

I will probably start contacting people in May or June (final exams are just winding down now) and I'm really thankful for all of these suggestions!
-- Not sure if our meetings are only open to students/faculty but I'll find out!
"So please ask yourself: What I would do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it." Sheryl Sandberg

Co-President of U of Guelph's Poultry Club
Proud to be called a chicken

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:37 am

Along the same lines.. for those who might be interested .. I am speaking at the Fenlon Falls Club at the end of this month ( April 28,2018) at the Wilfrid Community Hall C20915 Brock Road Wilfrid ON ( Just east of Pefferlaw ON )
for more info contact Elena.... pouletfermer@gmail.com ... I think there is a $5 charge to help pay for the hall and snacks.
I have a variety of topics that I will be covering including Health , Nutrition , vaccinations , production/breeding, Ventilation ect ..
TL

Return to “Around the Waterer”