climate change? you tell me

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

climate change? you tell me

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:39 am

SYDNEY, Australia — The Great Barrier Reef in Australia has long been one of the world’s most magnificent natural wonders, so enormous it can be seen from space, so beautiful it can move visitors to tears.

But the reef, and the profusion of sea creatures living near it, are in profound trouble.

Huge sections of the Great Barrier Reef, stretching across hundreds of miles of its most pristine northern sector, were recently found to be dead, killed last year by overheated seawater. More southerly sections around the middle of the reef that barely escaped then are bleaching now, a potential precursor to another die-off that could rob some of the reef’s most visited areas of color and life.

“We didn’t expect to see this level of destruction to the Great Barrier Reef for another 30 years,” said Terry P. Hughes, director of a government-funded center for coral reef studies at James Cook University in Australia and the lead author of a paper on the reef that is being published Thursday as the cover article of the journal Nature. “In the north, I saw hundreds of reefs — literally two-thirds of the reefs were dying and are now dead.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/s ... ieoff.html
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: climate change? you tell me

Post by KimChick » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:34 am

I'm no scientist, but I think this climate change and/or global warming is a cyclical phenomena.
The Great Barrier Reef has been dying for many years. That's when I heard about it - many years ago.
It's sad when we are witness to such a wonder in distress.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:03 pm

It is for sure cyclical BUT we are accelerating it. I'm going to get into trouble here too but we need to control and reduce the population to reduce the pressure on the planet. I mean everywhere not just so called 3rd world countries. Anyway I think it's likely Mother Nature will come up with a solution soon.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 pm

:iagree:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:18 pm

:iagree: :iagree: ...population is definitely going to be a big issue in the next twenty five years...and like the folks in the so called first world, the people in the developing countries are going to ignore virtually every red flag regarding climate change and pollution in the headlong rush of consumerism and acquisition...hell, we still don't want to properly look after our own garbage here yet, we still think if we throw it on the ground and toss a shovel full of dirt over it that the problem is solved... smh...the resistance and downright unwillingness to see the forest for the trees will be our undoing...why else is there even a debate ?...huh?....huh?.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:06 pm

and what tees me off...we know the problem...and we have solutions (many "on the shelf" and not released to the public)....but we don't put the two together because its not convenient or someone won't make money if we make changes. Sweden has cut CO2 emissions 20% below 1992 levels besides economic growth of 30% between 1992 and 2012 (when I first heard that statistic)

how about pigs in cities consuming food waste?

or the best story I know: Iran recognized a population/fertility rate problem (number of children per woman) in the early 1980's. The solution? educate women. They get married later, have less children (by choice), earn more money, and the children are healthier/live longer.

etc. etc.
IMG_3471.PNG
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Around the Waterer”