This weather sucks!

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

This weather sucks!

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Tonight it's going to drop to -16 around here and the wind is nuts. I feel sorry for my little hen, she is such a good mother. The barn is zero when I came in. Normal highs should be +8 the barn would go to +14 on its own if that happened. It's so cold and damp these last few days I am starting to worry about the chicks. They said on the news this will last for two more weeks and maybe even until the end of April!!! I don't want any power on in the barn, sometimes I think about putting them in the basement but the mother still drops stink bombs and if I bring them in then they may have to stay in. It was warmer when they hatched, this is like January!

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Re: This weather sucks!

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 am

I know what you mean!
Water froze overnight in my little broody pen. She is sitting and I feel sorry for her. Must be cold just sitting there. The other is my hen with little chicks. The chicks stay under her and just come out to eat and run back under momma
Where is spring????

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:23 pm

I agree. We have been getting lows in the -20s usually with a wind chill that makes it even colder. The sun is out a lot though. They forecast temperatures above zero for next week. I hope they are right.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:32 pm

i drove home in white out last night. crazy. i'm delaying putting the chicks out from the basement because of this. my house smells like chicken. and not in a good way! argh! oh well.....the sun is feeling warmer, so hopefully it will get warmer!!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 pm

One more week . 😊🌱
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:22 am

No wind damage at my place, which is surprising, since the snow was driving sideways! Went out around 6 pm to check on the birds, thought I locked myself out because I couldn't get back in--wind vacuum held the door pretty tight. And bitter, yikes! Branches and whole trees down in lots of spots. I'm pining away for warmer weather!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:03 am

Its pretty. Its white. Mother nature has dementia this year....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:45 am

I have a pot of daffodils on my dining room table, by this time I should be looking at some growing in my garden, but garden still under cover of snow, glad I bought the potted ones :(

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:54 am

I watched the chicks yesterday, she is good to keep warming them up. They never cried so they must be doing ok. They are only eleven days old but their little wings cover the body right to the butt so I think that helps. I think they should be ok, if they were cold or uncomfortable I think they would be chirping, instead they make those happy peeping sounds, so I take that as a good sign. Any thoughts?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:41 pm

so what this... global warming? climate shift or or an ICE AGE????? i am quite sick of this weather!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Around the Waterer”