End of an era.

General discussion forum.
Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: End of an era.

Post by Brebis » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:38 am

After they make cheddar, the cream that is lost to the whey is skimmed off and is sent off to a creamery. It is cultured since the cheese was cultured and it can be a bit more coloured as it comes off the mostly coloured cheddar.

It’s an old practice and the cheesemaker made sure they collected as much as they could because it was his bonus money.

The bigger dairies now have their own creameries so there are very few of these small ones such as Stirling which was bought by Gaylea a few years ago but is still going under the Stirling brand.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: End of an era.

Post by TomK » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:53 pm

I think it's kind of sad that all of these small businesses across the country disappear getting sucked up in corporate mergers in some megalomaniacs hungry desire to own everything... Our government has ceased to serve us well a long time ago and in this particular case they should have just stood up and said no you are not buying out the little guy when the request comes through for approval.... Pretty simple if you ask me but we never know what kind of back room Shenanigans go on... In that vein I read the other day that John Deere tractors and Monsanto are either in bed together willingly or have been quietly absorbed by an even greater corporate entity... Modern farm tractors are almost a complete computer on wheels these days and John Deere leads the pack but what isn't always obvious is not as the farmer goes about sowing his crops, reaping his crop, spraying his crops, whatever, the tractor is constantly gathering the information of the activity and submitting that data to Monsanto... No I'm not against but business trying to get information to make their business even better but I wonder if the farmer when buying his new John Deere tractor is asked if it was okay that is farming activity be monitored recorded and all that information shared... I somehow doubt it...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”