End of an era.

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: End of an era.

Post by TomK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Its nice to know that the dairy products we get are using canadian milk..at leaat one less thing to worry about when trying to feed our families but have you read the list of ingredients in something as simple as 10% half and half coffee cream?....its even worse if you choose the house brand versions...i am waiting for the cream in a glass bottle no less from the Limestone Organic Creamery...my local supplier is always out of it when i drop in...ugh...I am sure that it won't have stuff in it like Guar gum or carragenan....like wtf?...really?..the non homogenized whole milk is incredible...inqill admit to gettingba coffee spoon and popping the top off the bottle and just enjoying that dollop of pure cream...OMG!!!!!!... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Was talking to @KyleS at Odessa and he has Jersey cows, OMG! Think I may have drooled on the floor.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KyleS
On the Roost

Post by KyleS » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:04 am

Just a quick shout out to those of you choosing to buy canadian dairy products, and a note on this supply managmemt topic that president trump is after.....the supply managment system gives us the stability for my young lad in the picture here to be able to farm if he chooses. @Killerbunny another jersey cow picture just for you
Attachments
A18E3BEE-FE73-4D10-B130-EDB1CAAE2834.jpeg

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:34 am

Well...ihe 10% cream came in on Thursday..omg! ..omG, ..oMG! ..OMG!!!!?.what a taste...I had forgotten...MJ took a taste and said it was just like it was when she was growing up on the farm...clean, sweet and oh so good....it was (to use and over used word yet again) 'amazing' in my coffee...I am customer..thanks to the folks at Limestone Organic Creamery...and you are welcome for the commercial..lol.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:54 pm

@KyleS , lovely picture! And, that cow has a gorgeous bag.
For those of you who can't get to Limestone Creamery, look for "Reid's Dairy" cream at your grocery store. The ingredients are: cream and milk, and nothing else. Very tasty.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Anywhere in SF Jan?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:30 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:54 pm
@KyleS , lovely picture! And, that cow has a gorgeous bag.
For those of you who can't get to Limestone Creamery, look for "Reid's Dairy" cream at your grocery store. The ingredients are: cream and milk, and nothing else. Very tasty.
Ahh, Reid's dairy - now that takes me back ... went to high school in Belleville, and a Reid's dairy outlet was on the way back to the dorms. Glad to hear that they are still around and that their product is still excellent.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Hmm, thanks for the heads up on the cream from Reid’s, being in the area we always buy their milk and buttermilk but hadn’t checked their cream. I have also bought the Organic Meadow cream when I want the real stuff without the extra crap in it.

I remember the farm my Dad bought was owned by a family that shipped cream and he’d separate the cream through a separator under the stairs to the hay mow and he’d bring us a quart of it when we there...it was divine! Can’t do that now!

The other lookout for butter is the whey butter from Sterling, lots more flavour....they are also making a high fat version for French pastries.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:21 pm
Anywhere in SF Jan?
Not that I've seen, unfortunately. BUT, " Almost Perfect " on Parkdale in Brockville, stocks one litre cartons on a regular basis.

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:30 pm

@Brebis , what is whey butter, is it the same as cultured butter?

Return to “Around the Waterer”