my flocks...

General discussion forum.
thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: my flocks...

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:16 pm

That would be great Kathy!!! :beer2:

Black Jack is his name and hunting is his game. he was pretty weird at the beginning, staying in the distance meowing at us but not getting close. one day he came up to me and let me pet him. that was after the attack, I never would have considered him the perpetrator. He adopted me and I tried to bring him in the house, he would use the litter box but not stay the heck off the tables, counter tops or the stove... stealing food. so he lives outside now, we feed him, he patrols the coop and the ditch but has not touched any of the remaining birds since. maybe he was turning wild and I re-domesticated him, calming him down a bit. hes a very nice cat though. oh ya, wow you should have seen him go after my finches.... like once every hour, no discipline worked. he will sit outside on the window sill to this day staring at the finches inside, not trying to get in the house at all, just waiting for the finches to fly outside... :-) then he sees something else that gets his attention and off he goes. hes a great mouser
Al

Home Grown Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Al, I feel your pain. All that work and effort...gone....then you clean up the mess. The best insurance is to spread your birds genetics to different places.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 pm

So sorry to hear this. I dread this happening to me. Coyotes walk around in my yard and seem to pay no attention to the chickens who are in an open fenced area. It's the chickens that go up to the fence and stare out at them, chuckling to each other. I watch out the window in horror, but nothing has happened.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:01 am

SusanH wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 pm
So sorry to hear this. I dread this happening to me. Coyotes walk around in my yard and seem to pay no attention to the chickens who are in an open fenced area. It's the chickens that go up to the fence and stare out at them, chuckling to each other. I watch out the window in horror, but nothing has happened.
Susan...i have a similar sitution here...open pen because i can't free range the birds anymore and an abundance of coyotes, although they won't come that close because i have three large dogs free roaming the area around the birds...I'm not entirely sure what the coyotes are up to at night or just how close they come to the pens but it matters not as the birds are locked up tight and safe...are you able to have a dog? Or two?
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

hayladee
On the Roost

Post by hayladee » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:57 pm

Oh my goodness! What about a MINK??? that is my menace...thought fox, weasel, raccoon...until I met him face to face doing his worst at 2 am one cold rainy night, watch him and helpless to do anything. He took both my blue barnvelders, the black barnvelder, both pure black auacaunas, both flower hens and my last crested cream legbar....along with 28 mutsky oliveeggers and crosses....one of which must have been my lavender egg layer, over a period of 3-4 weeks.
Still I got the fever and fired up the incubator with eggs from those left....some were so cold I thought they'd be a lost cause but 23 out of 42 hatched and are merrily dusting up my basement....and before I thought of that aspect of baby chick raising I found the incubator full again and just locked them down this morning....love waiting and trying to guess who's who....hen or roo~!
Condolences on your loss and hope your spring and summer will peep, cluck and crow as you wish when your ready...

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Oh Al, so sorry for your devastating loss. That's terrible. I'm glad that there are some people here that can help you out when you are ready. Take care!

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:31 pm

TomK wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:01 am
SusanH wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 pm
Susan...i have a similar sitution here...open pen because i can't free range the birds anymore and an abundance of coyotes, although they won't come that close because i have three large dogs free roaming the area around the birds...I'm not entirely sure what the coyotes are up to at night or just how close they come to the pens but it matters not as the birds are locked up tight and safe...are you able to have a dog? Or two?
I have two dogs, so I don't know why the coyotes feel safe wandering around so close to the house. My goofball dogs wouldn't stand a chance against a pack of them, though, so I don't know how much of a deterrent they are. Those coyotes were pretty fat-looking when I saw them waddling around in January. I can't see them vaulting the fence somehow. Maybe they've been feasting on the squirrels I recently evicted from the attic.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 am

Anybody got a recipe for coyotes? At least get a coat made, i'm sure it'd be warm (after all Justin has one, and he looks great in anything!). those buggers need a little fear in them!

roflmbo
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:41 am

cook coyote just as you would any other red meat. it's not bad actually.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am

Don't tell me. Tastes like chicken?

Return to “Around the Waterer”