my flocks...

General discussion forum.
thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

my flocks...

Post by thegawd » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:09 pm

This is not going to be a nice post.... wish it was but I feel I need to update you all. This winter I had some predator problems, mink or a weasel or I dont know what really... over the course of a week or so most of my birds were killed including all of my reds and banty chanteclars! they stood no chance with no escape. it would be easier to state what I have left... all 3 of the geese... (they have survived multiple attacks including a fox at the old place) 2 hens, an easter egger and a black leghorn. 1 call duck (the others were killed by a raptor out in the field on separate occasions) 3 beltsville Small White turkey hens (not sure exactly what happened to the 2 toms, would a weasel take on a tom turkey around 20+ lbs? I wouldnt think so but that is what appeared to have killed them. the hens exercised there wings all the time so I can only assume that they flew out of harms way, no idea. I never caught any predators and my dog could not lead me on its path and had no idea what I was looking for, it wasnt a coon cuz she would have found it. I set many traps n nothing.

Its a huge bummer that has me rethinking a lot of things..... whats my goal with poultry??? putting meat and eggs on the table, I think I may go the hatchery route... no no no... I will go the PTO route! no but I am seriously considering getting a flock of RSLs n white leghorns to make sure keeping poultry is worth it. I need a tom BSWT! KB???

anyways Im kind of at a crossroad and Im standing on the curb not sure what direction to go. I love my RIRs and other heritage breeds, just look at OC's rare Columbians! Stunning! in all honesty I just dont have the time to maintain a large flock anymore, I also dont think I can dedicate the time towards preserving a breed properly. I did not renew my APA membership either.

well I think thats about it, I just wanted to update you all, we shall see what the future brings.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: my flocks...

Post by Happy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:16 pm

Oh Al I’m so sorry that happened. Heart-breaking. Whatever you decide I’m sure it will be best for you and your family.

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Hey poop happens Al. I've stopped free-ranging my birds due to too many losses. I let them out a month ago and lost my last chantecler hen to a fox or coyote. I keep them in a covered run now. RSL's and Leghorns will give you a ton of eggs. Do what you need to do. You still have a pile of knowledge and can get back into breeding when the time is right. A hobby should fit in with your lifestyle. All the best.
Andy :egg:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:47 pm

Sorry for your losses man . Locked up or free you will always loose some . Only you can decide what is best for you & your family . If anyway I can help you know how to get me .
PS a good bunch a mutts doesn't make the losses so heavy if yu catch my drift . Luck man
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:48 pm

I am so sorry Al for so many losses in your flock :sighke1: Discouraging to say the least and can understand you may be at a cross road to continue, have been there myself a couple times. For me the thought of having to purchase store bought eggs stopped me, the extra cockerels that are raised are a bonus for the freezer and just the enjoyment I get from them.

I am not sure a weasel would take down a 20lb. Tom? They are nasty little things and I could be wrong. Are there any fox's or coyotes that have been lurking around?

I have been fortunate in the almost 30 years keeping chickens that I have only even had an predator attack once until I found what it was and were it was coming in. In a week 6 birds were taken, found out what it was and where it was getting in and made short order of both problems. Our large breed dog is my best defense for warning when something is lurking (even though she has killed a couple herself).

I am sure you will make the right decision for you and your family as Happy mentioned.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks for the support guys! I appreciate it.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:46 pm

Well...that really pained me to read...terrible to lose that much of your flock...i have three LGDs that are able to patrol the area around the coops and the open pens...I don't free range anymore mainly because my oldest dog was the main predator..no issue when the birds were just doing their thing but if one got a little frantic, Otis would go into prey mode and I would be out another bird...so now they are in a very large fenced in area and its working well...I hope things work out for you whichever way you go...losing the Heritage birds is especially harsh....good luck... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:35 am

Oh no, I'm so sorry :( :hug: I've been there, I think most of us have, and know exactly what you're going through :grouphug:
Nothing will replace the irreplaceable, but if there's anything at all I can do to help, please let me know. I've got some awesome dual purpose Orpington cross mutts, if/when you're interested I can figure a way to get some eggs to you to hatch.
:grouphug:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:08 am

SO very sorry to hear that.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:53 am

PM'd you . I know of someone looking to rehome a Tom.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”