my flocks...

General discussion forum.
SusanH
Starting to Crow

Re: my flocks...

Post by SusanH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Yesterday I found my orange cat in the chicken yard. The chickens couldn't care less. They tried to peck him hello but he swatted at them and backed away in favour of butting me. I am relieved to think they get along.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm

SusanH wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am
Don't tell me. Tastes like chicken?
Hahaha... everything tastes like chicken given the right sauce...and a glass of wine or two, or three maybe....

And Susan, I have two Pyrennes cross and one pure Pyrenees as well...easily outmatch the coyotes and they know it...medium sized dogs might have a tougher time with some of the outcross coyotes we seem to get from time to time, but a true coyote isnt really that big...urban myth has taken hold....and solitary coyotes are usually not that brazen...sneak thieves hoping for a quick snatch and run on a solitary bird...its packs that can be troublesome and those are often a few young males who still haven't staked out their territory yet nor mated and are definitely feeling their oats and mom and dad have booted them from the home cuz a new batch has or is about to arrive..... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 pm

[quote=WLLady post_id=54246 time=1523446871 user_id=48]
cook coyote just as you would any other red meat. it's not bad actually.
[/quote]

sooo many thoughts run through my head after that. in fact I had a debate with myself. (how do you know? do i ask? no, not really, she is a professor and scientist, and know it all (who does know it all!), and redneck. Heck she probably has a barbecue sauce picked out for the next one! its not that wacky to eat coyote. Dog is on the menu in Korea, China, Nigeria and France?! a coyote is just a wild dog. yep, she's tried it.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... for-dinner
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Very good in the turkey deep dryer or ...I prefer fryer
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:46 pm

lol. how do i know? i've tried it. and dog. and horse. and they're not half bad if you keep an open mind. many different cultures eat many different things....and yes, it was a different culture where i tried it. however, i cannot do coon. nope, nada. or crickets. or ants. too crunchy....lol. i did try the insects but the darned casing (chitin) that they are made out of-picking that crap out of my teeth for days afterwards! blech. so i would have to be literally starving to decide on the insects. grasshopper legs, not a chance! but dog/canine is not bad. it's a bit like bear....and i didn't try it with bbq sauce or any sauce actually so not sure what to pair it with, although a very nice STRONG red wine would compliment it well.
LOL

so yes, baron, i have tried it. (the dog meat was brought back from japan by family of mine that visited there, many moons ago; and coyote was a hunt by locals a while back....rather redneck-ish).

oh, and no, it doesn't taste like chicken thankfully. although alligator and snake both do....somehow....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 pm

lol, now how many city folk have friends who can say things like that?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Yuck, no coyote for me. I actually think they are beautiful animals.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 pm

My turn. Having new siding put on the house and the workers left both gates open. Since I go in through the garage, I didn't notice until I went out and found Lola sitting by herself all puffed out and looking distressed, and then a big splash of feathers and then Layla, dead, and Lulu, dead. Lola died in my arms just now. I suspect a dog, maybe even my own dog, although both of mine have been good around the chickens. Anyway, I was feeling so lucky, but I guess it was bound to happen some day. Aw.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed May 02, 2018 2:42 pm

Oh I'm so sorry, I know exactly that sick feeling.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm

So sorry for your loss SusanH.

Return to “Around the Waterer”