Question Nipple waterer

General discussion forum.
SusanH
Starting to Crow

Nipple waterer

Post by SusanH » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:40 pm

So far I have been giving my chickens their water in a bowl. In the winter I knock out the ice and fill with fresh. No problem. But I've been thinking it would be neater for the warmer weather to make some sort of waterer, maybe one of those using a PVC pipe with nipples. What is a good simple design for a diy waterer for a small flock? I see Amazon sells the nipples. Do you have to teach the chickens Or do they figure it out?

My next idea is hooking up to a rainbarrel. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: Nipple waterer

Post by thegawd » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:30 pm

chickens are curious and will investigate the silver thing on the end of the red nipple, peck at it and water will come out. they will figure it out very quickly. I have a 6 foot pipe with probably 5 nipples on it. all of my birds use it. I have a bunch of these nipples but they are from China and leak a little, mine are outside so I dont worry about it. I dont think I have a post on here or pics for it but its simple. its outside and its pouring rain out so this is just from memory... the pipe is apx 2" has a garden hose fitting that connects to a garden hose that is connected to a big water tank (that is always in the shade). on the opposite end of the pipe is a tap to drain the system or to fill up another water dish. the nipples dont really like to seal up well on the radius of a 2" pipe so I simply siliconed them so they wouldn't leak. there are many designs for these on the net, a bucket with 3 nipples on it is probably the easiest to do.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Thank you Gawd! I can picture your set up. That sounds about right to me. Important thing I hadn't thought of was having the water tank in the shade! Good idea putting a tap on the end!
In the meantime I have a sick chicken, so I am off to look for advice on that...
Susan

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 pm

I have a bunch for the summer. You can just use a bucket or container...the home depot buckets work great. I just put 4 on the bottom of the bucket and fill with water.
Easy!

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Sorry for the stupid question, but when you say "bottom" do you mean literally the bottom, so the nipples point down, and you have to hang it high enough for the chickens to get under it? Or could you put the nipples around the edge, pointing outwards, so you could set the bucket on a flat surface? I am guessing either way would work, but is one better than the other?

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Sorry, should have been clearer, I do mean literally at the bottom of the bucket. You can fit 4 of them there.
15233922133031506242570.jpg

Works like a charm. Hope the picture helps.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:18 pm

SusanH wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:22 pm
Sorry for the stupid question, but when you say "bottom" do you mean literally the bottom, so the nipples point down, and you have to hang it high enough for the chickens to get under it? Or could you put the nipples around the edge, pointing outwards, so you could set the bucket on a flat surface? I am guessing either way would work, but is one better than the other?
The nipples people commonly use must hang straight down to work properly. There are nipples that can be used horizontally pointing outwards, but they are very uncommon and more expensive. I have a few of the horizontal nipples (that just sounds wrong. lol) but have not used them yet.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:04 pm

Ok. Hanging down nipples it is! Oh, poultry, the things you make us say.

Return to “Around the Waterer”