General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: What are chickens worth?

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Happy wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:53 am
Thank-you everyone for your thoughts. This would be easier if I actually wanted them gone :(
In that case the price should reflect that, at least a bit of money will ease the pain somewhat ;), but if you are going to regret the decision, then definitely do not sell .... I know not helpful at all :idunno:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 pm

for me it depends on what, what quality, how many and who i am selling to. i'm much more likely to sell a 4H prospectus for lower than to a person who i know is going to just flip the birds. also, chickens to me are chickens. chicks are worth 5-10$ unsexed. anything sexed goes up in price - IF i can sex them reliably. ready to lay pet quality 20$. at least. in the spring MORE because i've had to house with heat and over snowstorms, and that's a major worry and stress. Breed: if they are project birds that i am ready to let go, and no one else has these genetics 50$ easy. Show quality, more....although i don't have much show quality anymore, because i can't be bothered. i'm not showing.....but i'll do my best to have half decent birds. In my area if i try to sell a pullet for 30$ at a sale i'll be laughed at...but haul them to auction and i'll get 30$....go figure. my area there's not a lot of show folks, and most buyers are backyarders or farmers just looking for a few for coloured eggs or whatever. This year, pretty much everything is being sold through here, word of mouth or repeat buyers, and pretty much all to people i know from before. nothing ticks me off faster than someone getting 30+ birds for a flock and then i hear 2 days later a fox took them all out....it's not because of the money, it's just such a waste of work-i do feel partly responsible for the animals that i sell on to other homes.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Hundred bucks. Buy them or don't. For yuor top dollar, you have to not care if you sell them or not, and I am thinking that a hundred is a good deal for what you describe.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:50 pm

You don't really want to sell them so put the price up high, if they don't sell then just keep them. At the higher price you are more apt to get someone who is really looking for that breed and will work with them.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed May 02, 2018 11:54 am

Well Harley, Liza, Sophie and Lola (the 4 original Cochin's) left for their new home about an hour ago. I'm sad that they had to go but life will be better and easier for those that remained once things settle down. Poor Bebe had become Harley's favorite but she stayed here. She hasn't stopped calling for him since he left :( Maybe I should have sent her too.
They have gone to a wonderful home on a farm with a chicken crazy lady who's grandson is interested in starting to show and maybe breed birds. I couldn't be happier with the home they will have. I'm going to print off Troy's comments from the on-line show for them since she's not very computer savvy so they will have a place to start.
Little Sherman the oegb is now the lone rooster and he already knows it. He has refused to cross into Harley's side of the coop for months even if Harley was outside. Within 1/2 hour of the Cochins leaving Sherman was in there inspecting the nesting boxes and asserting himself as the boss and trying to calm Bebe down. The young girls that have lived on Sherman's side are taking tentative steps into the "dark side" to check things out.
Last step is to clean out a cage and relocate the chicks outside but that will need to be once things settle down.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed May 02, 2018 12:05 pm

SOunds like life is calmer now. Glad they have a good home!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 pm

I have been pondering this exact question for the last few days - but on the buyer end of things. I've found some really nice Wheaten Ameraucana 1 year old hens for $40 each. That's a lot of money for a couple coloured eggs. But then I thought about my goals...and maybe its not so much when I consider adding a half dozen fertile eggs from the same breeder in future (therefore a couple more hens and a rooster). Price is whatever someone will pay I guess!

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 pm

It's been two weeks since Sherman became the lone rooster. There has never been a happier little rooster man on the planet. He spends his days running from one hen to the next to check in, find them a treat, do a little dance to see if they're in the mood then on to the next girl. Little is the only hen ,"his size" so he's trying hard with all these big girls and he especially likes the not quite a year old Cochin girls. Honestly he just slides off their backs but he believes he's getting the job done and they are willing participants so that's all that matters!

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu May 17, 2018 12:47 am

:rooster-171: :heart: Tiny but mighty!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:12 am

So could I be rude enough to ask what you actually sold the bunch for? Or do you have a personal stand on kiss and tell that prevents you ? We understand that too.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Around the Waterer”