What are chickens worth?

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: What are chickens worth?

Post by Happy » Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:12 am
So could I be rude enough to ask what you actually sold the bunch for? Or do you have a personal stand on kiss and tell that prevents you ? We understand that too.
I don't mind at all. I sold the rooster and 3 hens for $75
I know I could have got more and their new owner offered more but I was happy with the home they went to and that a young man was going to get his introduction to poultry showing with them. It was a win win.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 am

That's great @Happy
BTW are you sure Sherman isn't getting those hens? Might get a surprise!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 am

I have a 2 egg and avocado wrap every morning and check fertility as I crack them. I'm a week behind on eggs so won't know for sure for another month probably but Sherman has never managed to make it work with a full size hen. The only fertilized eggs I've currently got are from the 2 barred rocks that let Harley anywhere near them.

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:41 am

Sherman and Miss Kitty
Attachments
A4D90342-2B5C-4125-9720-02AE13CC290F.jpeg
D7171F66-8DFD-4D62-B579-BC113815B420.jpeg

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun May 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Well... so I have had people ask to buy some of my Easter egger bantams. They are actually good layers, most lay green, some blue and some cream white. All are ten months or younger. I could sell some, I don't need all. The thing is I ask $15 each. People think that's too high. I don't think so, even bantam chicks are going for $8 to $10 so I don't think a young hen I kept all winter and is laying should be less than a baby chick that could turn out to be a rooster! I don't think $10 is enough bantam or not. I know the age, I know how good they are. I feel that they want chickens that lay and I have chickens that lay, plus I am not crazy about selling them so give me my price lol. I know people tell me they can get regular chickens for $14 but that doesn't change the effort I put into these girls. What do you guys think?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 20, 2018 2:37 pm

$15 is a very good price. If they are good birds don't drop, they'll only try to beat you down further. Pretty eggs too!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun May 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Skinny...people are in the Wal-mart frame of thinking...cheaper cheaper ever cheaper and never give a thought to what it actually takes to get the product (whatever it is) to the point that is commercially viable...my thought is your price is too low....so unless you desperately want to get rid of birds i would stick with the higher price...i hate lowballers...i just bought six little week old maran chicks and paid ten each for them so your price for your birds is way low...IMO... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun May 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Your price is more than fair, don't let them talk you into giving them away.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun May 20, 2018 4:36 pm

$15 is not too high IMO. It's too low, if anything. Guaranteed it cost more than that to raise them, and even if it didn't, they're worth more than $15 as grain fed "game hen". Any lower and you might as well put them in the freezer. These aren't mass produced brown laying hybrids that come with a lovely case of Infectious Bronchitis that'll bite some poor hen in the butt later on; your pullets, despite being backyard birds, are a premium product. Healthy, prolific layers of coloured eggs, and small/cute to boot. The people that say $15 is too high can take a long walk off a short pier ;)

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun May 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Skinny I wouldn't be interested in selling someone a bird that haggled over your price. Seriously if they're going to worry about a couple bucks difference up front then in my mind they probably wouldn't get proper care. I regretted (am still regretting) not buying bantam Easter eggers chicks that hatched from blue and green eggs that were selling for $10 each at Huronia Fur and Feather sale. I wanted them BECAUSE of you talking about your birds lol. I talked myself out of it (nothing to do with price). Your price is too low in my opinion if chicks sell (and they did sell) for $10.

Return to “Around the Waterer”