General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Fraudster in Owen Sound

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:04 am

Happy wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:07 pm
I've always wanted to be on a jury!!! Why am I never called?! Sorry about the scammers. Retail stores in our area are seeing a resurgence of them as well. And they're BOLD. There's all kinds of ways to make a living...
No you don't, there is a side to human race I would have been happy not to have a close look at.

MommaChick
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by MommaChick » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:01 pm

We have a crap load of farm equipment I have to post on kijiji in the next month. I am not looking forward to it at all. I might just put my phone number in the add only. Scammers seem to really like to hide behind thier screens. My sister almost got scammed for a Boston Terrier puppy up that way last week. Thanks for the heads up.
Momma to 4 little chicks down on The Farm
Chickens: Standard White Chanteclers, Bantam Rhode Island Reds, Bantam Black Wyandottes.
Rabbits: Black, Broken Black, & Black Otter Rex
Big Critters: Milking Shorthorns (Reg and Grade), Hay burning Horses out back, and one patient man

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:16 pm

Sorry to hear that happen. Boy, it's always those dishonest few that wreck things for the rest of us and make us extra cautious.

Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Post by Giffen Farms » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Happy wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:07 pm
I've always wanted to be on a jury!!! Why am I never called?! Sorry about the scammers. Retail stores in our area are seeing a resurgence of them as well. And they're BOLD. There's all kinds of ways to make a living...
They say that everyone is picked at random but when I was in for the "selection" if you were in the automotive industry or teacher/support worker industry you weren't picked, they knew exactly who they wanted, before the selection starts
What day is it, Christopher Robin? Its today Pooh, my favorite day!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:05 pm

A friend of mine just sold a bunch of rabbits last week and did ok on kijiji but he told them first come first served and price was firm since he had a lot of interest. I think however the closer you are to a large city the more trouble you will have. There are some people now who make a living scamming off of kijiji, they just browse all day to see new ads and they know country people are more trusting so be careful.

The other scam back now is the tax scams, they call enraged saying they will take immediate action and seize your assets and are sending agents to your door unless you pay them immediately. I get one a week here now because I think they know this is an elderly person's house. I also had three on my cell so far. The CRA will never never call you, they will send letters first and ask you to call them. WATCH your parents or grandparents, it's so hard for them to believe it's not the actual CRA no matter how many times you explain it to them.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:40 pm

@Skinny rooster my mom got one of those calls and she said "Screw you" and hung up lol. That's one 80 year old you don't mess with! It's funny because she can be quite gullible/trusting about some things but I pity the scammer that calls her or rings her doorbell!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:12 pm

I get them about once a week but I have an answering machine. Often they will leave a message.
On one occasion I got the "windows" support guy to call me a crazy lady because I managed to tie him in knots. Kept asking him when he was going to install my new kitchen window.
I was quite shocked about the tax one when they showed on the news one of the people scammed was a middle aged guy, not new to country or anything.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Never put your land line phone number in a kijiji ad. Easy track you to your door. We never give anyone a deposit until we have seen the actual item and checked it all out. There was a crazy scam on kijiji last fall about a horse trailer for sale. Kept being sold, then reappearing for sale. Back to the old saying on some stuff: if it's too good to be true, then it's not true.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:03 pm

It does pay to look at Kijiji ads regularly, if you are interested in selling there. I have also noticed repeat ads that appear to be scams. I had something for sale a couple of weeks ago. I only use my e-mail for contact information. Someone replied to my ad asking for my contact information and location. I told them they could contact me by e-mail through Kijiji, and I never heard from them again. Seemed a bit fishy.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:12 pm

The only time I ever sold anything on Kijiji the lady looked at the bunk beds, handed over the cash no argument, no haggling and said "great deal". We were both happy. It took about an hour to sell them!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”