Whistleblower Chris Wylie

General discussion forum.
modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Re: Whistleblower Chris Wylie

Post by modern17 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 am

Personally not on Facebook.... in my opinion.. a very large invasion of privacy .For anyone on Facebook.. do a search of your name( or anyone that you know is on Facebook) on Google or any other search engine.. depending on your parameters set.. it is disturbing on what comes up the you may think is private. Although I have nothing to hide.. I do not think anyone needs to know when I am on vacation or when I am away from home, what I am eating today , who my friends are , what birds ( with pictures ) I am showing this weekend ( major issue here with some thinking its ok to tag in the officiating judge who is also on Facebook.. but this is a whole other issue )( I am currently chair of the ABA Constitution and By Laws Committee , we are dealing with this in the way of putting in writing what is ok and what is not.) ..... ect ect ect. I do see the good and with several of the organizations I am affiliated with we use Facebook as it was intended " to connect people and to get info out there " . The addiction of Facebook is just that an addiction.. many feel they have to put their every waking move and moment on line for everyone to see. Getting " liked " is the only measure of self worth or worth while goal in life.. to me a very sad existence. The issues as I see it ( I get forwarded lots from FB) is the monumental amounts of crap that one must sift through to get to the meat of the situation.( everyone has opinion as well most are experts just ask oh yeah most of the time you don't have to as it is volunteered lol ) I never say never.. but I continue to say not now for Facebook. Most of my friends are on Facebook.. I know my circle of friends( real friends not befriended people that are found by a key stroke) would be come smaller fast if I was on , as I would not tolerate BS and silliness and as I have told many prior.. friend or foe.. if you don't want to be called an idiot don't be one. The big problem from the start is that no one was given an instructional hand book or video on what is acceptable or what is not. Common Sense is not all that Common .
I do have a Twitter account. I use it to keep in touch and to get news from other interests including poultry and birds. But once again scary what comes up when you search your name.. not private at all. For the most part I am an observer on Twitter...For now that is enough. My 2 cents .
TL

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:11 am

I have a Facebook account and no connected friends on it lol. Hubby laughed at me because I wouldn't even accept his friend invite. I opened my account to join a few FB groups that I was interested in. I have found FB invasive and "fake" from it's inception. My account has no stats, private setting and I NEVER post anything on it. If I want to post in a group I'm in then I specifically post in that group. I think that real friendship has been lost on many through social media and I've witnessed arguments and worse because of opinions shared. Sometimes too much info is simply too much info and some become brave/outspoken beyond reality when hiding behind a keyboard. As far as being careful about ones privacy...yes I guess that goes without saying but it's not something I'm typically good at. I'm an "open book" kind of person and need reminded sometimes that there's a lot of "bad" out there. But that's not just on FB.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:01 am

Pretty funny, I got on Facebook about 10 years ago, when there was an effort to legalize chickens in Ottawa and I needed to be there to help the effort. It didn't work out and at that time there were first indications that whatever the privacy filters you put on the Facebook would give out your information one way or another.
Since I treasure my privacy, I went to the trouble of actually getting my information OFF the Facebook, which didn't stop Facebook from trying to get me back on for another year, so obviously they didn't erase ALL my information.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:08 am

Well some people may back out of facebook because of this whistle blower but really everyone already knew this. In the beginning the government sponsered facebook because it was great for them to get private info on you, and people were always posting not so private info. Crooks were putting on what they had just stolen or videos of their jobs. Idiots!
This will continue, some people will leave but they will be back because all their friends are doing it.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:17 pm

This social media site is the one for me though and the one I feel comfortable with sharing pictures and information of chickens lol. I know we share a bit more, but I don't think that it compares to the scope of facebook. Each to his own though, where they feel comfortable. I know I couldn't convince my kids or grandkids to stay away from facebook and they can't convince me to join. I do warn them though to be careful what they post, share etc.

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Post by poultry_admin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:30 pm

I did join FB just last week as you know. Haven't posted anything. But I have learned a lot trying to keep my footprint as small as possible.
Here are a few tips I learned:
- on your mobile change the permissions like this on android https://thehackernews.com/2015/06/andro ... nager.html
Similar thing exists on iOS. Why does FB and FB Messenger need to know my location, microphone, camera and contacts? Right, they don't. Know that "What's App" and "Instagram" are also owned by FB. So check those settings, too.
In general the FB apps on phone and computer send out a lot more information than going to FB through a browser. If you want to be more diligent, set your browser to delete cookies when you close it (however this is inconvenient, because you now need to log on again). You could also use a browser JUST for FB and another for ALL other surfing. That would help, too.
- on a computer, use a browser to interact with FB. I am sure you know the privacy settings! Use them stringently.
- not so well known is that your info you share with friends can be accessed through your friends. But that can be changed by going to Settings->Apps -> Apps others use. You get a picture like this:
fb.JPG
remove all the checkmarks. That limits your data spread as well.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:23 pm

If some creeper wants to know where I live, all they have to do is follow me home from the grocery store. If they want personal information, they can most likely find some in the garbage, though personally I make an effort to burn mine, not everyone in my household is as anal as I am lol
Common sense, as modern 17 said, and minimizing data spread as poultryadmin said. Don't do "sensitive" things like online banking or shopping while using public Wi-Fi. Keep your anti-malware programs up to date (especially if you have kids or elderly using the computer) because clicking a wrong link can infect your machine with keyloggers. No point in spending all your time looking over your shoulder, but no point in being cavalier either.
I allow FB access to my microphone and camera because I use messenger to make video calls on occasion, but I really don't care if the powers that be are listening in. If you do, don't I stall messenger.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:47 am

I went on it when it first came out but soon realized what they were up to. Plus I found it too invasive, I have been telling people for years not to use it. It's funny how arrogant Zuckerberg was until the stocks started plummeting, now he's so sorry, boo boo. No one's account is being deleted, it's just shelved, they could bring back every photo or post they want, they consider everything you posted as their property. Over ten years later I still get emails asking if I want to rejoin. They also show me how many of my friends are still on... uhmmm how do you know who my friends are if I deleted the account over ten years ago. Yeah right.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:01 am

I only ever posted pictures of chickens when I was on, so they can knock themselves out on that one. ;)
Had a good chuckle when they were trying to get me come back ( oh so easy only one click and you are back )
and posted names of people who wanted to be my friends, which included ex girlfriends of my sons.......pretty sure they didn't wan to be my friends :)

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:15 pm

I only post chicken pictures. My security is so tight you can't send me a friend request except through messager. I never post what I'm going to do; only what I've done. I think it has it's place. My 2 cents :)

Return to “Around the Waterer”