Patience is not my strong suit....

General discussion forum.
Penny
On the Roost

Patience is not my strong suit....

Post by Penny » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:55 pm

So.....Hubby said I'm getting a new coop!! Bigger...much bigger!! Problem is that its not coming until "sometime in the summer". Seriously...he tells me I can have more chickens...but then he tells me I have to wait??! Ugh!

You know I'm dying to buy some chicks, or have one of my ladies to go broody, or to buy some pullets , or get some more *fill in the blank*....you get the idea. I have no patience for this....I need the new coop now! lol

I currently have a itty-bitty coop 4'x6' with a 10'x6' attached run, and I have 6 lovely ladies and one gentleman rooster....and there is just no room for more pretties at this point. Just wanted to share my misery...lol
Last edited by Penny on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Patience is not my strong suit....

Post by WLLady » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm

the weather should hopefully warm up soon-summer is anything over zero during the day right?
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm

When I got my first day old chicks (10 of them) I had nowhere to put them. Hubby insisted that he was building a coop and I was not wasting money on that pre-fab "crap". I figured if I waited for the coop to be built first then I would never get chicks. They were 9 weeks old before they finally moved into their not quite finished coop lol. I will never have chicks in the house that long again BUT it got the coop built ;)

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Penny..my first coop (and I still use it) was buiot on a 5 x 7' stripped down double dirt bike trailer..the idea wqs to make it moveable and it is, but I have never moved it...its got a proper little coop on top with a 8' door end and a shed type roof tapering down to a 6' back end...the advantage is that its a solid steel floor and all i needed to do was built the coop properly out of good material on top of it...right now it houses 14 hens and theres room for a couple more yet...two roosting bars inside and three nesting boxes on the side... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:16 pm

:-), "temporary" means ten years around here so beware temporary housing.

"good enough" being the typical quality of work when an electrician (my dad) does carpentry or plumbing (i'm no more than a helper in skill) and I figured my best bet is to trade my time and skills (fire wood or some vehicle repairs or tax preparation) for the time and skills of someone else.

Boldt Castle (Thousand Islands near Kingston)
IMG_3383.JPG
Boldt castle was built by a man for his wife BECAUSE SHE ASKED HIM FOR IT!

ask for it, ask what it takes to get it done now instead of later, or ask what you can do to help.

git r done! :farmer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Is that when he is getting his holidays so that he can build it for you? Bigger and better than the first one?

Return to “Around the Waterer”