water: i am glad we don't have this problem

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: water: i am glad we don't have this problem

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 am

This group is among the more enlightened, but mostly people simply aren't aware, don't care or sometime just can;'t afford to care.
We have all seen front lawns watered including the driveway and the street, shopping center sprinkling systems going while it's raining , and that is drinking water we are talking about.
Rationing is probably the only way to deal with it and much higher rates once you go over the limit.
Just like TomK pointed out, the day when nothing comes out of the tap is going to be pretty rude avaikenning.
A little sample of what the Native communities up North have been dealing with forever.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 am

there was a cbc radio show about water: one guy near Kaladar set up a water system where bathtub/shower water is used for the toilet.

an architect in Ottawa showing off his "green" home built a similiar system only he had to do all the baloney for permits and a super filter. why filter soapy water for toilets? I don't
know but it was a city requirement. according to research bathtub/shower water is an even match for typical toilet needs.
the only problem is that if water use drops, city water revenue drops.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am

That was a slogan years ago in the UK, Save Water Bath with a friend, except all the prudes got up in arms about it!
I believe one of the Provinces was bringing in water metering on your own well water too???
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 am

I've heard talk that over the years that seeing all water belongs to all people that all should pay for it and that Ont . was a province that was all for this under present gov . Don't know bout other gov. parties thoughts on it .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:00 am

In the last few years there has been some noise about implementing well water metering for the rural communities that had been amalgamated as part of the City of Ottawa a number of years back, but haven't heard anything recent about it. I think it's ridiculous. The City of Ottawa of course does not want to share any financial responsibility for people's wells, whether it be initial well installation, equipment or well maintenance - all that would still be at the homeowner's expense.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:05 pm

I don't think they were ever that serious about well water metering, it wasn't really practical, but the City did implement a surcharge on taxes for infrastructure which we are paying already, makes sense if you think about it, the ditches still have to be cleaned and we did pay for that when we were a Township.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Btw we have a "gray water" system of n place, but I certainly wouldn't wolunteer that information to the City.
I am sure it has become illegal while we weren't paying attention. ;)

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:23 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 am
Jan, I'd like you to stop being polite and tell us what you really think!

roflmbo
I can't, this is a family friendly forum, and the censor doesn't catch much. I started in about people pressure washing houses, boats and campers during a drought and had to erase the whole paragraph :big chicken:
In our last place, we had no well. Drinking/cooking water for us had to be got elsewhere and carried in, and washing water and water for the animals was whatever we collected from rain, snow and ice. If we didn't have a wet Autumn to make sure the reservoirs (a couple of IBCs) were full for winter, we 'showered' with a bucket and a cloth. There were dry times when we had to truck an IBC 20 minutes away to a river so the animals would have water.
If getting water is hard work, it kind of gives you a perspective on how precious it is.
Another thing to consider is that municipal waste treatment plants are limited in how much they can clean water. People flushing hundreds of gallons of soapy, greasy water full of lawn chemicals and salts, down laneways, roads and municipal drains, are just BEGGING for trouble.
Batteries in the dumps and medications down the toilet...the planet isn't going to run out of water, but it's already running out of safe water.
http://archive.boston.com/news/science/ ... in_whales/
Companies are "mining" glaciers and icebergs.
Approximately 1600 desalination plants are in operation around the world...but they are expensive, power intensive, and the brine byproducts are deadly.
Rainwater is radioactive thanks in part to nuclear detonations and reactor leaks over the last 75 years or so, and that's not going away, ever.
But, it's not all doom and gloom! Trillions of dollars are being poured into R & D of better filtering and desalination systems! So, there will eventually be lots of safe water for the rich to enjoy, and wash their boats with, while the rest of the world dies from cholera and mercury poisoning. Yay!!

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:13 pm

Back in 2009, there was an ad campaign in Brazil trying to convince people to pee in the shower and save the flush. At 12 litres a flush, the average person can save 4,380 litres of water a year by taking advantage of their daily shower.
Andy :egg:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:36 pm

OK, that's just gross.
How about when it's yellow let it mellow?
KB I do remember the campaign to shower with a friend ....... I will stop right here;)
I read a story recently on somebody teaching whales how to speak,.....I thought that was a great idea, because it would enable the whales to tell us what they think of us.

Return to “Around the Waterer”