Chicken Buyer Etiquette 101

General discussion forum.
scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Chicken Buyer Etiquette 101

Post by scottishpet » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Ok...new to chicken world and I am trying to learn as I go. I am on a couple of local facebook lists that have to do with chickens. Because we are in the mist of trying to get our house up, and we don’t have a coop ready and will not have one ready till after the spring chick spree is passed I was thinking of trying to get some pullets or adults in the summer once the house is done and the coop is all ready. So I have been up front with anyone I have corresponded with to state just where I am at, so no one thinks I am getting chicks or eggs next week. I chatted with a fellow just around the corner who seems to have a large selection of poultry, but I know nothing more about him. Except I was asking about where I could get local bulk shavings (truck load) and never heard back from him. I am not so self focused as to think his post on facebook was directed at me in particular, but just after I made contact with him and told him I would be in touch in the summer once I am a wee bit more established...he posted a long list of what makes a terrible buyer and he pointed out #4 on his list which was the worst kind of buyer in his book... “wishy washy wanda who said her coop is not ready yet and she had to talk to her husband and she would get back to him....No you won’t stop wasting my time”

The list was supposed to be a humorous look at “terrible buyers” but because I had just had that conversation it made me wonder if I have blundered and there is an unspoken chicken world etiquette out that that I know nothing about? Those of you that sell chickens I want to know what you think if someone new contacts you and wants to get into chickens and asks a few questions and tells you they are a few months away from purchase. Does that tick you off? Does that help to know what the time line is? Does it make you think the person is just sucking up your time? I truly don’t want to waste anyone’s time and yet I want to find someone I can work with to make good choices, to make sure I have all the stuff I need to have a successful start with a layer flock. Just asking the group what the right chicken etiquette is?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Chicken Buyer Etiquette 101

Post by WLLady » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Doesnt bother me at all! I honestly would rather people be honest and know they arent ready than jumping in half cocked and ending up returning half dead birds to me because they didnt know what they were doing! Facebook - i lurk on several poultry oriented sites there too - drives me a little insane....like people leaving scathing reviews for someone they never purchased from and only knew throuh someone else....blah blah blah. In my chicken world i dont ask advice on fb much....and as an experienced keeper that is still learning new things every day i much prefer the targetted forums. Dont take that fb post personally. Theres all the crap in the world on facebook.....and people tend to say things over electronics that they wouldnt dare in person. Kepp asking your questions.....better to know what you dont know than to dive in with your eyes closed. In my opinion.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Nothin to do with chicken etiquette sounds more like he has NO people etiquette with me not privy to both sides I can only guess . Some folks are just in it for the money .. Maybe I say maybe this is one . No matter what you do in life your dealing with people . Sometimes hard to figure just learn & move on . Luck
PS social media is the hardest to read in or express emotion on & as you've seen in the news lately it can be a 2 edged sword .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:33 pm

I agree with WLLady. Ask away and if someone doesn’t like it tough. I also think that people who are truly into poultry are usually quite happy to help another like-minded person out. I personally would prefer to get birds from someone who’s interested in more than just making a quick buck!

scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by scottishpet » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 pm

thanks guys...no idea what he is about...not at all saying he is a bad dude...just wondered if because chickens are not a huge expense the general view is just shut up and buy and get on to the next one. But for me I want to make sure I do the best I can, for the animals in my care, be they show quality reining Quarter Horses I have had, or free guppies I was given. I want to hear the sound life experience form those who are doing, and make sure I can follow in the footsteps of those walking the trail...at least for a good while before I cut trail on my own. Like I said I am not over sensitive about it, honestly I ave no idea if any of his comments were directed at me. I felt kind of bad for any one else who is new as they maybe were silenced or mocked for making an honest effort to venture into a new world too. Trying to understand his perspective too and I am sure there are times there is a lot of effort put into folks who never follow through, or those who want everything for nothing, and don't appreciate the effort and time it has taken for that producer to get where he is. His work has value. WLLady I agree that fb is not often the best spot to get good info...but thought I could connect with someone right next door so to speak. I lurk there too for the most part.

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:53 pm

It sounds like you contacted a total dick! Ignore them. Keep asking questions.
Best to buy bedding (shavings) by the 3.25 cu.ft bale (not sure that's the right term). They're packed so tight when you open them you get 9.75 cu.ft. That covers a lot of coop floor.
Andy :egg:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 am

I WANT people to ask questions because I want my birds going to a good home. They are not just disposable items in my view. If someone doesn't think they're right for them I'd rather they say so. I never make a sale final or take money until someone has actually seen their birds and knows what they are getting. You are going in the right direction.
Those bales Andy mentioned are the way to go, easy to handle.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:41 am

Sounds like he is making an attempt at making a big time business in poultry via facebook. Read the Donald Trump book on business etiquette and customer relations. So far I am not aware of anyone on here doing that. I like the visiting with other knowledgeable people here.

Things that bites my butt about buyers. When the deal changes after its made. Casein point. Lady came for hatching eggs. Saw my Marans. Wanted to buy a trio. I said I $75. And she said she wanted them. I wasn't even trying to sell them. But we caught them and took them to her truck, into a cage. Then she said "Would you take $60?" Technically, she had not said yes she would pay me 75 in the coop. Sort of my fault I guess for not making sure. But it really got me. As a younger man, I would have probably used other vocabulary and taken the birds back into the coop. I didn't, just tok her 60. But it still irrigates me.

Good luck with things.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by scottishpet » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:47 am

where does one find these giant bales? sounds like it would be easier to store and move.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:13 am

Most feed mills and TSC have them. I get mine from Picton Farm Supply in Picton.

Also, somewhere on here is a thread about other types of bedding such as flax that many like you might be interested in.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Around the Waterer”