Laying hens in Torontario

General discussion forum.
valegal
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Laying hens in Torontario

Post by valegal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:43 am

I think the biggest challenge will be the predators... especially the raccoons. They're far more intelligent than some people think... those "raccoon-proof" bins they rolled out last year? The ones in our area figured them out within a couple of weeks. I'll definitely be putting a proper keyed lock on my coop, and large paving stones around the pen to make it harder for them to tunnel in.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:28 am

@valegal I agree about the raccoons. One got in my neighbors coop last week and killed 4 birds in the time it took her to hear the commotion and run out there. I'm interested in hearing about what it's like to keep birds in your situation. I imagine many of the issues you will face will be similar to those in a more rural setting but some might be vastly different! Keep us posted as you dive into your new endeavor. Have you determined what breed(s) you want?

valegal
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by valegal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:11 am

We actually have a surprising number of predators here (I live near the Humber River). Besides the raccoons, there are hawks, cats, opossums, and I've seen the odd coyote. I'm guessing that's one of the reasons that the city isn't allowing the chickens here to be "at large" at any point.

As far as breeds, I was thinking one each of Chantecler, RIR, and Cochin. I think I've sourced out the Chantecler, but if anyone has any RIR and/or Cochin pullets available and are in southern Ontario, feel free to PM me. ;)

I agree with @Epona, there will likely be a huge demand for pullets very soon. I've done some Google'ing myself and it seems tough to find anything other than chicks, especially in southern Ontario.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:00 pm

The other urban predator you may have to deal with is neighbouring dogs...I lost several rabbits complements of the neighbours large dogs, even though they were in a decent outdoor hutch.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:14 pm

valegal wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:11 am
We actually have a surprising number of predators here (I live near the Humber River). Besides the raccoons, there are hawks, cats, opossums, and I've seen the odd coyote. I'm guessing that's one of the reasons that the city isn't allowing the chickens here to be "at large" at any point.

As far as breeds, I was thinking one each of Chantecler, RIR, and Cochin. I think I've sourced out the Chantecler, but if anyone has any RIR and/or Cochin pullets available and are in southern Ontario, feel free to PM me. ;)

I agree with @Epona, there will likely be a huge demand for pullets very soon. I've done some Google'ing myself and it seems tough to find anything other than chicks, especially in southern Ontario.
I have Cochin and although they are pretty and gentle they aren't great egg producers so that may or may not be a consideration for you. The other two that you mention are traditionally better layers. My almost 2 year old Cochins still haven't resumed laying since starting their "vacation" last Sept/Oct. On the flip side my 6 year old Barred Rocks have started back up and they are laying at least every other day. Depends how important eggs are to you

valegal
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by valegal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Happy wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:14 pm
I have Cochin and although they are pretty and gentle they aren't great egg producers so that may or may not be a consideration for you. The other two that you mention are traditionally better layers. My almost 2 year old Cochins still haven't resumed laying since starting their "vacation" last Sept/Oct. On the flip side my 6 year old Barred Rocks have started back up and they are laying at least every other day. Depends how important eggs are to you
I tried to pick a mix to get the best of both worlds... ideally I'd like one solid layer, but I do really like the look of the Cochins. I also get a kick out of the Polish, but it sounds like they're a little more on the flighty side.

valegal
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by valegal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Brebis wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:00 pm
The other urban predator you may have to deal with is neighbouring dogs...I lost several rabbits complements of the neighbours large dogs, even though they were in a decent outdoor hutch.
Sorry to hear. :( Luckily we only have one dog on our street, and it's a golden retriever who would probably insist that she and the hens become best of friends. :)

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:55 pm

valegal wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:25 pm
Brebis wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:00 pm
Sorry to hear. :( Luckily we only have one dog on our street, and it's a golden retriever who would probably insist that she and the hens become best of friends. :)
Umm, love golden retrievers, but they are retrievers, so... he/she/it may well want to be friends, but don't count on it. Don't forget, everybody likes chicken dinner. ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

valegal
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by valegal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Jaye wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:55 pm
Umm, love golden retrievers, but they are retrievers, so... he/she/it may well want to be friends, but don't count on it. Don't forget, everybody likes chicken dinner. ;-)
Haha... true!

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 pm

ross wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:13 pm
Where there's a will there's a way .
I thought it was.... Where there's a will there's a relative. :)
Andy :egg:

Return to “Around the Waterer”