What's missing from the forum??

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

What's missing from the forum??

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:38 am

Hi everyone

So....want to ask your opinions and thoughts. We are seeing a slow but steady decline in people signing up for the forum, and people posting. While some of it is likely the time of year, and people getting ready for hatching etc, we figured we would post the question to the forum and see what everyone thinks.

What is missing from the forum?
What would you like to see added to the forum? Is there something you'd like to see added like "fowl fact sheets" or more targetted information or....(you fill in the end of the sentence here).
we are open to ideas!

we have been planning to do a section of "fowl facts", but due to time constraints (and life events the last 2 years for me) those sheets have not been written yet. This would include factual information on things like incubating, breeding, genetics, breed descriptions, egg colour etc etc etc. Hoping to get a start on those soon (and would love if other folks would like to help out in writing these!).

we already have the photo contest, and a poultry show (thank you again to Modern17!!! and OC and KB and poultry_admin for all the work that goes into that!). we are present in the search engines, we have sales sections etc. an annual bbq event....even stationary that folks can use to print for sales and shows, and very importantly-hats....lol.

anyway, please let us know your thoughts, what would you do differently, add to the forum, like to see.....you can either PM me or poultry_admin or thegawd (Al)...or just reply here. On the other side of the token, if you don't think there's anything you'd do differently, that is valuable information as well....

thanks everyone! we'd like to see the forum growing, not shrinking, so any and all ideas are welcome!!!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: What's missing from the forum??

Post by Jaye » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:32 am

I can't think of anything new to add that will improve the forum at the moment, but will have a think about it over the next little while. I think it's great as is. As for why there has been a decline, it could be due to the natural cyclical nature of forums, or to a migration to FB and Twitter and Instagram and the like and the different format/audience they provide. I'm not an active member of FB, don't even have an Instagram account, and I think I did register an account with Twitter way back but never really used it. Maybe the number of people who prefer a forum format online is dwindling in general. Not sure why really, because it's pretty much the only social media I enjoy and have time for.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 am

I don't FB either and I really can't think of anything to add here.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:53 am

1. It is probably getting to be a busy time of year.
2. A section on Fowl Facts would be great for a newbie like me.... who's still learning. But no great rush; I and others (I think) post questions as needed.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:59 am

I think this is a great forum, agree with Jay, the slow down is very much a cyclical thing, not only forum but also poultry interest being up and down over the years.
The original Poultry Swap started when the hobby was on the upswing, more then usual presence in all types of media, and on all different internet venues.
That also dilutes the numbers somewhat, where some people use only certain type of internet vehicles for sales chats and information gathering, and some of us find a place they like best, and stick to it :)
The only thing I can see this Forum could benefit from, is a wider exposure to the poultry enthusiasts, wherever they may be found.
After all it's the contributors that makes the forum and if we can bring in more interesting members, it will make the forum more attractive, and so on and so on.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 pm

okay, i will move the Fowl Facts idea up in my brain and try to find some time to get started on those. Anyone that would like to help, just PM me whatever you would like to put together topic wise and we'll go from there. I have been kicking around writing a genetics primer for non-geneticists (of course chicken related) for some time now....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm thinking it is time of year as well for the slow down. The facts sheets idea is good, but not critical. My 2 cents. Perhaps a poster advertising the site put up on info boards at sales and shows might increase awareness.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 pm

I may be wrong but it seemed to me that last year (starting around this time) we were seeing a lot of new members joining. I would think that March/April/May should be the busiest time on the forum. If I put my retailer cap on and look at the forum as a business then I think it's very dangerous to think that people aren't walking into my business because of the time of the year or the weather or anything else that is beyond my control. Thats the way all of those retailers thought that are no longer around.
I am on several poultry Facebook groups. I don't participate in them often but I read postings on them almost daily. I find that the poultry world seems to have a hard line drawn down the middle between those that view their poultry as livestock and those that view them as pets. There almost seems to be a bit of disgust felt from each of those groups towards the other at times. This is the one place where I don't really feel that. I'm fully aware that not everyone on here names their chickens or would have one live in the house but for the most part people have respected that my views and choices are mine just as I hope that I have respected differing opinions. I feel that is a big strength of this forum and that comes from the tone set by administrators and from the members. I've mentioned this forum to a lot of folks that have never heard of it. I know last year there was some ads up on Kijiji promoting the forum...maybe that could be done again? It also seems that a lot of threads on here are not about poultry at all. There's a lot of members who have similar interests in gardening, preserving, cooking... I think that's another thing that differentiates the site from FB groups. Maybe seeking new members beyond the traditional poultry world is in order?

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:17 pm

One more thought.
It's great to post this thread for suggestions and ideas BUT the only people seeing it and responding will be the same active members that you always see participating. I suggest pming or emailing the folks that joined and then disappeared or joined and do visit the forum occasionally but rarely participate. Ask them what they like/what they don't...was it what you expected and if not what's missing. You may not get a huge response rate but any responses will be hugely valuable.
Also just a follow-up PM or email a couple weeks after a new member signs up to ensure they are navigating the site ok...need answers on anything. Not everyone will ask so a private offer of help may help to keep someone coming back.
Not sure if this could be automated or if you would want to keep it more personal.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:37 pm

WLLady wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 pm
okay, i will move the Fowl Facts idea up in my brain and try to find some time to get started on those. Anyone that would like to help, just PM me whatever you would like to put together topic wise and we'll go from there. I have been kicking around writing a genetics primer for non-geneticists (of course chicken related) for some time now....
Kathy, there is several good chicken related Genetic primers already available on the net, unless you are really anxious to put up one of your own, and don't know what to do with all your free time ; ) a link is all that is needed.

Return to “Around the Waterer”