What's missing from the forum??

General discussion forum.
poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: What's missing from the forum??

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:55 pm

So I got thinking a bit with the statistics I have access to....

I can export the landing and exit page counts. That's the first and last page someone visits on this forum before going to another website. My assumption is that if they are the same, it's someone who searched google for info and found our link (that is confirmed). Then they go and read the page, but are not interested in the rest of the forum. This type of information gathering person makes up for about 40% of the traffic we get. The topics they are searching for are all non social topics. In the spreadsheet below, I have highlighted in green these content topics that people went to and spent more than 10 seconds on it (assume they found something worth reading). Red are the pages people found and spent less than 1 second => wrong info go back to google and the one page was landing page and exit page.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... rT/pubhtml

Top 3 topics that had direct traffic that was WRONG:
Tape that sticks to styrofoam?
ameraucana crosses... worth the effort?
Wait - are you legally allowed to sell eggs off your property?
Why not? Topic mismatch? No facts? Is my 10sec rule too long, i.e. do people click back quicker when they are in the wrong spot? This would mean we have the answer.

Top 3 topics that had interesting information:
quinoa for chickens
permits for pheasants?
2020 04 26 Mount Forest Spring Sale ( :yay: my event calendar is working!!)
So for these, we need to have the answer/solution close to the question. I have an idea that I will discuss with the admins on this one.

Just to round out the picture. The other 60% of the traffic goes to: good morning, unread posts, index page, new posts, ... and the like. They come "direct" = bookmarks. So this is the traffic generated by our "regulars".

The data in the spreadsheet is for the month of Feb 2018.

Anyone has any ideas how to analyze the data better? Or wants to see some other stat like: How long are mobile phone sessions compared to desktop computer sessions?? Let me know. I am pretty sure I have the data.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:29 pm

most people have an attention span thats real short.

if that 40% can't be bothered to read anything else on this site, then "don't let the door hit you in the butt"

if we are trying to add more people to the 60%, I don't know. we're not a commercial site, we don't give away free stuff. they are interested or they're not.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Being more of a farmer than some; I was attracted to PSO by the members that had in-depth experience and hands on Knowledge of Poultry keeping and breeding. Much different than BYC.
Some of those people never made it to PTO. A couple of other sites I visit ,dedicated to Show Quality stock, are also not very active. As time goes by topics get covered and the cycle gets repeated. I still like this format better than Facebook. But that's just my opinion.

Jossy J
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jossy J » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 pm

I came into chickens later in life and found most of my learning from BYC as there are so many topics, lots of members and lots of new conversations. I was thrilled to find out there was an Ontario chicken forum! I have bought hatching eggs from several members here and have been very happy with the experience. I come on here the odd time but my learning curve isn't as steep as it was in the beginning of my journey so I'm more interested in where to buy hatching eggs, who has what breed, etc. The people on the forum are very friendly and helpful and even though I'm not a regular, I still feel welcome.

How about handing out flyers or have a large sign about PTO at the Fur and Feather sales in Mount Forest and Burl's Creek to increase the forum's visibility without costing too much money nor volunteer time? There are certainly lots of poultry enthusiasts at those locations.

I wish the breeders page would contain more people who breed specific breeds. I'd love to have a larger selection to choose from!

Great job, Administrators!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:17 am

I agree with Baron that most people have a short attention span and I wonder what that pretty bird outside my window is because I never saw those colours before which reminds me to buy more frozen waffles at the store, the kind with real blueberries not the fake ones, I guess blueberries means we should be thinking about our gardens and getting them ready soon. Sorry what were you guys saying?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 am

I think one thing of this group is that we have no place for people who try to sell birds that they claim are "purebred" or "show quality" when they're not: especially for sale stuff. Bad for those dishonest sellers and good for everyone else.

Skinny: I think often of the Labrador retreiver (with the voice projector) from the animated movie UP! who is in conversation and ...SQUIRREL!..where was I....
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm a relative newbie and Ill give my two cents (cause I'm sticking around whether you like it or not! lol)

I'm on the Backyard Chickens site (its busy!) and I'm an avid facebook user and belong to almost every Ontario based poultry site (all the ones I can find anyway) and it was in one of those FB pages that mentioned PTO. I had no idea what that was or that this forum existed. I'm only 2 years into raising my own small backyard flock, but I'm like a sponge for information. The draw for me is that this is Ontario based! You guys are my neighbours...and I never knew you existed! More chicken people are out here, you just have to find us....I think an increase in advertising on FB and Twitter, etc would help the numbers. Go to the Ontario Poultry pages on FB and just say, "Hey, did you know we are here? Come join us!"...I think it will help.

I think flyers at the Fur & Feather Auctions is a fantastic idea too (you will hit those people who are not on FB everyday, but still want a great site for more poultry type information)

Just my $0.02

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 pm

heck that's worth at least $0.05 or more!
:farmer:

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Penny wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:00 pm
... (cause I'm sticking around whether you like it or not! lol)
We like it!! :stars:
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 pm

oh...and I should say that there is nothing wrong with crossbred birds or "mutts", only that they should not be passed off as "purebred" or "show quality" when sold.
"hybrid vigour" is a good thing in chickens as in plants or other things.

Return to “Around the Waterer”