What's missing from the forum??

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: What's missing from the forum??

Post by kenya » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Yes I think an ad maybe on kijiji would bring more traffic. As to having frequently asked questions already answered at don't think a lot of times workes to get repeat visitors. People like questions answered personally.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:27 am

oohhh! give kenya points for a great answer!

i'm too lazy to give different people the same info. i get impatient as well. am i a pita or what?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:44 am

I am not 100 percent sure why, but as a newbie, I liked the old forum better, believe it or not! This one is far and away better in tech functionality. I stayed away for two years, mostly because I had cancer and my husband was dying and my dad died, so the chickens took a back seat, but also because I felt lost. I didn't know where to post what I wanted to ask, or where to look for answers to similar questions. I would suggest giving newbies a few tips about how/where to post questions. Maybe questions should always be posted to Around the Waterer and then the thread could be moved to the correct topic area by an admin. I ended up posting my question about litter there because I couldn't decide where else to do it. I never did post about coyotes. On the old forum, it was easier somehow. That's the only thing I can think of.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:45 am

I agree with TomK about the Good Morning thread. On the one hand it's lovely, but it does make you feel like an outsider eavesdropping. Then you wonder, if you skip the good morning thread, will you be missing Something?
I think pto is great, don't get me wrong! I am thinking it is hard to be all things to all people. I myself have two needs. Sometimes I want information and hope to find it fast, and sometimes I like to browse other people's posts, because you learn unexpected and interesting things that way. If the site is organized to facilitate one, it compromises the other. And needs change over time even for the same person.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:57 am

It really worries me when I read that people feel like an outsider on some threads! I'm sure we don't mean to make it seem like that. Part of it may be that many of us know each other offline too (but we met here first)!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by scottishpet » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:38 pm

As a newbie I love this form, but I get lost often. There is so much information here! It is easy to get overwhelmed. I go back and read a lot of the old stuff, at times I respond, but there is not much dialogue...nor do I expect it because after all it is old news to the regulars. It is clear many of you know each other and that can make people feel like a third on date night...but I am not sure that can be over come except to stick it out and become a regular and get to know folks here as well. I have found nothing but friendly folks here, people very kind and willing to share their wealth of knowledge. I love the form. Many thanks to all who contribute and put forth their time and effort to make this such a great place. :heart:

argosgirl
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by argosgirl » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

I find that I check out the forum more when I'm actually doing something with my birds. Last year I was basically feeding them and running off to the next chore. Not much time for them or anything else. Right now I've got some eggs in the incubator, I'm making some changes to my meat bird program, and I'm spending more time with them. Makes me more likely to seek out poultry talk!
R & D Acres - facebook.com/randdacres
:karate:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:25 am

Welcome back Argos girl . 👍
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

argosgirl
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by argosgirl » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks Ross!
R & D Acres - facebook.com/randdacres
:karate:

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:49 pm

I was away from the forum for a year - 18 months, so I can come at this like a newcomer with local knowledge.

The regulars use the 'good morning' thread for pretty much everything.

Example: On page 28 of the 'good morning' thread, someone, who will remain nameless so let's call them JimW, posted..... about the weather, spring, etc. Then mentioned the seeds they had ordered and the discussion changed to seeds. The seed conversation should be down in the On the Farm - Gardening thread.

Anyone coming to PTO looking for discussions on seeds would not see the 'good morning' conversation unless they read through it. The forum as a whole doesn't look like there is much activity because everything is in the 'good morning' black hole.

A new member might be an expert on seeds, but if there isn't much happening in the gardening thread they move on to another website.

Just my 2 cents and sorry Jim :wink:
Andy :egg:

Return to “Around the Waterer”