Not chicken related but I'm curious

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Not chicken related but I'm curious

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm

You know it doesn't have anything to do with your hair, right?
It took me years to get it thru my head that I was a great disappointment to my mother, but when I asked for a description of my "perfect" self, she had no answer.
The crashing end to my efforts to live up to whatever, came the day when my mother said and I quote; " I am happy to see you had you laundry hang up before your neighbors did, BUT, you know the socks are hung the wrong side up?
It has been a while and it completely escapes me which end was supposed to be up, but that day I realized I was a project that needed constant improvement and I simply stopped cooperating, "smile and nod" was the answer to everything, it came from one of my son's 12 year old friends, still using it :)

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Oh yes I do know OC! And I stopped cooperating long ago. Of all the horrid things my mother's only daughter has done the big constant has been my hair and it overshadows everything else. Dating bad boys, taking art in college, getting married at the courthouse, not having kids, getting divorced (oh the shame), living single in the boonies (at which time I needed to remind her that I was perfectly safe because no man would have me with this hair cut lol), shacking up and quitting my long time career. All of them made her nuts for a while but the displeasure always settled back on my look. The funny thing is that she's the woman that taught me to be my own person. The irony is totally lost on her lol.
Oh and @baronrenfrew I told my mother a few years ago that I was getting a tramp stamp to cover my back surgery scar lol. She shocked me by actually knowing what that was! She still hikes the back of my shirt up occasionally to make sure I was only kidding.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 pm

She didn't want yu to be perfect OC just better ( according to her) is all .🙃
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:27 pm

This thing about hair is gawd awful dangerous territory for a guy to wade in on...but i will, cuz thats just how I roll...anyway, the once past certain age you need to have short hair rule is just plain stupid...its not a matter of age..it's what suits your face and head shape..some people look really bad in short hair styles and others just rock them..goes for both men and women...lately there has been this go to thing on shaved heads on guys...sorry, but in my humble opinion, some guys just shouldn't do that, given the option..its the same for women..just because you see a style in some magazine or on some celebrity on Tv doesn't mean it suits you at all..I know its a personal call, but there's no general rule that works across the board...whatever your choose to do, remember, there's always gong to be someone out there that is thinking.."what the heck are they thinking?".... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:16 pm

well one thing for sure, I am definetly hanging with my crowd here!

:beer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Hair 11 June.jpg
I found hair a terribly touchy subject for some, some women had grown it forever and then losing it was devastating. My pet peeve is that the Canadian Cancer Society has a huge info thing on the psychological damage that you will/should feel. They were always pushing that you should buy a couple of wigs and life would be hell without them. It didn't affect me except for cold (it wouldn't be my choice but beat the heck out of the alternative) so I stuck with merino wool toques. ANyway I took pics at various points through hair regrowth and they ended up being used in an info video for chemo patients to show how people dealt with it. Here is one of me about 4 months after finishing. I still have chubby steroid face here. A huge plus is now it is fully back it's darker with less grey, yay!
I hear you OC when I was swimming competition if I won I was told it wasn't fast enough or if I did a PB "but you didn't win". I wonder why we ended up estranged?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:41 pm

KB I think that's awesome and for the record I think you suit your hair short. I love your outlook and could only hope to be so brave facing the same circumstances 💓
I'm neither pro long hair or pro short hair. To each their own. I'm just pro "get outta my business and worry about something that's actually important." My last haircut was 2 years ago and I cropped 9 inches off and donated it. It left me with just less than shoulder length and I hated it so it hasn't been touched since. I too find long hair easier to deal with.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:28 pm

The only problem with KB's hair cut, is that you really really want to touch it, it just looks very "petable"

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Bloody mothers! I love mine. But she shoulda been a chicken. She pecks like a old hen out in the barnyard. Pick Pick Pick. Then scratch and examine closely for what might have turned up. The pick pick pick.

I know. Its because I'm 66 and she is 88 and has more life experience, and she loves me. I am still her baby, and she must help me along in life. Its just the way it is. They have to do it, kind of like one of my broodys setting. There is something in them. But Hell, she aint layin no more, couldn't she back off a little? I love her too and I don't tell her how or what she should do.

And my wife that I am reasonably fond of has short hair. My ex had short hair. I never had a girlfriend with long hair. But I always liked long hair on a woman. Funny how things work out.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Around the Waterer”